Katana engine

thexman2008

The engines are pretty much the same. The Katana had a smaller slighter flywheel than the 1100 ET and it took the rev counter feed from the coils where the 1100ET used a mechanical drive from the cams. Some differences in the rocker cover too on the earliest ET engines. You can take out the worm drive on  the rocker cover and plug it. The Engines are otherwise identical. Both were GS110X from memory.

11 hours ago, Jonboy said:

When you say con rods, do you mean small end ? i.e 18mm gudgeon pin or 20mm gudgeon pin. If there is another difference its one I havent happened across and I believe the pin size was a variation between 1075cc engines and 1135cc engines

Same dimensions as the 1074/75 cc GSX engines, but a different forging number on the rod itself - allegedly a beefier rod.

There's apparently the 492, the 492 with oil splash dimples and the 493 (which is the "Katana" rod i believe).

There's also this thread:

492s hang together just fine for most purposes, they make great bottle openers too.

Edited by Gammaboy
  • Like 2
  • 3 years later...
On 12/21/2017 at 12:04 AM, thexman2008 said:

Hi all,

I was wondering if there is a differance between the engine from a GSX 1100 with the rectangle headlight and from the Katana 1100?

is there a site where you can check what engine it is based on the engine number?

Regards .... Tom

I am not a expert but major deferance is flywheel, flywheel cover, carburator jetting, cooling fins on the head and crank where the flywheel fits