What exactly did I buy

NotStock

Hey Guys, 

Let me start by saying the Katana like thing I have bought has consumed me. I am just coming off building a turbocharged KZ1000 and am now throwing my efforts into the Kat. 

This is the only "katana" I've ever seen, let alone owned. I've wanted one for years and have never even seen one up for sale. The reason I hesitate to call it a true Kat is that its an 1150 motor in a 750 frame with gsxr wheels and unidentified suspension parts (but I suspect they are gsxr as well based on a conversation with the PO, but he wasn't firm on that). The frame appears to have been hit by something too, messing up a tube near the passenger peg mount. Perfect for me because I won't get all precious about it and lose sleep over removing a bracket or two. Pretty liberating compared to the H2 that was going to be my next project if this Kat hadn't come along.

I really need help both figuring out what I have and where to go with it all. 

Not looking to be spoon fed, but I'm having trouble finding info on the differences between this motor and the stock 1100. I would like to understand parts interchangeability and that sort of thing. Any articles or helpful posts would be good. Even just an idea of what to search for! Also, if you guys recognize the forks or rear brakes, I'd love to know what they are, if only to replace the pads. 

Hoping to get a bit of discussion going here to help sort out what I'm looking at. The bike is an ex road racer turned drag bike, so its a real mash up. 

I've already swapped in a 2008 Katana swing arm and I'm considering a B12 front end swap, but this isn't the spot for that discussion. I'll start a build thread if I feel like I can keep it full of interesting content. 

Thanks!

April_13_2017_012.JPG

April_13_2017_014.JPG

April_13_2017_013.JPG

• Like 2

Welcome ... 82' kat frame.....engine covers .....clutch/stator/ignition are katana/gs ..... possibly a kat 1100 bottom with the barrells and cylinder head from a gs 1150/efe..... oldschool roundslide mechanical carbs.... wolf pipe.... rear shocks are just lowering struts....forks appear to be katana 600 / 750  .... early 90's.... interceptor mudgaurd

Edited by no class
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, banoffee said:

O.o

Hah, figured that would raise some eyebrows. It's a combination of a few things that probably won't make sense to everyone. I hate the clevis mounts on the current swinger. I wanted some more length in the rear. I hate farming anything out if I can do it myself. After some destructive tests I am not comfortable with my own structural welds on aluminum, but very comfortable with tig welding on steel. All of it added up to a need for a swinger with a narrow pivot point and the same axle diameter that is made of steel. The 08 katana arm fits the bill and is readily available. Once you cut the junk off, it's not crazy heavy and I can very easily modify mounts and play with geometry. If I was more comfortable working with aluminum, the result would be lighter and better, but this works well for me. Make a few stainless bushings and it slides together similar to the bandit conversion that seems to be popular.

Sorry about the garbage lighting in my shop.

IMG_5609.JPG

IMG_5614.JPG

• Like 4
1 hour ago, banoffee said:

:|

I take it the 90s katana stuff is nothing to write home about? Thoughts on a better swap? I was thinking a B12 front end to keep the regular forks, but get into some 43mm running gear. I also like the 6 piston calipers. I've used that front end on another build. Looks like rake and ground clearance would be ok with the lost height.

Depends what you want to do with it but it looks like your discription of it's previous life is consistant with the mods. The engine top end is 1135 EFE and it looks like it might be running total loss ignition (no genetator) so that's consistent with a track bike. That set up gives maximum ground clearance and drops a lot of weight.

The wrist/ gudgeon pins on the EFE are 20mm and the original GSX in the Katana was 18mm so it is likely that it's either an EFE top end only or all EFE The best way to identify this is to check the engine numbers and post them up here. The carbs look like CRs so if you have an EFE engine and CRs you have lucked out. With that set up I wouldn't be suprised if it doesnt have trick cams enlarged displacement and some porting. 

Runing gear looks like bandit 600 or 750 teapot.

Judging on the back tyre it looks like it has gone from track bike to drag bike laterly.

Take a pic of upper tripples and check the front wheel casting for the rim size ..... 3.00x17 for example......swapping all the running gear depends on what you want to do riding wise .... road race / street sport/ drag....

3 minutes ago, KATANAMANGLER said:

BTW Read the rules there wasn't a 90s katana ( we're in rightous denial) It's non negotiable:stop:

It is total loss, but I will be going back to a generator. All I want out of this build is a bike for the street. I have a lot of love for the modifications done to older race bikes, and building is most of the fun for me, so I'll be putting together a laundry list of little changes for this frame and motor once I know what I have and what needs to change.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, NotStock said:

It was an outboard bearing support, but the PO felt it was worth a lot of cash and didn't include it in the trade. I have started designing a cover in fusion 360 to replace it. No bearing support, though.

I was going to suggest that would be worth a few quid (bucks?) to the drag racing fraternity if you still had but it as you say the PO knew that. 

14 minutes ago, KATANAMANGLER said:

Using a katana or GSX ET ignition cover and ignition parts on an EFE could mean you have an aftermarket electronic ignition system like Dyna too.

What sort of coils does it have?

It was a stock ignition based on the igniter and other equipment on the bike. There is a dyna2000 and coils in the mail though :) always wanted to try one out. My KZ runs a dyna S and I have another with a distributor drive. Thought about trying my luck on Eblag for a magneto drive setup, since the bike doesn't have a charging system, but I don't know the motor that well, they are stupid expensive, and it wouldn't really fit the bike's look (unless I kept the slick), so dyna 2000 it is.

Sad to say, but I believe the cams are stock under there. Valves may be oversized though. I'll pull the cover and let you all have a look. I'm away for a week, but I'll do it next weekend.

While on the subject, do you guys have any thoughts on the "super bike" style oil cooler setups? The ones with the AN line running around the motor? I love the look, but again, I don't know these motors that well and, unless I made the fittings, it seems like I would be giving up the option of the top end oiler setups. Not saying I am opposed to building the fittings, but I need to understand the oil path first.