Spondon GSX1170

21 minutes ago, spondonturbo said:

prices on there don't look bad. I got a quote from Dymag yesterday and it was around £240 for a rear and £200 ish for front but this was for crack testing and powder coating and new bearings. Sounds a lot at first but then again they will come back looking like new and be SAFE !

I think Dymag send there stuff to TPCS anyway. 

Did you get any other bits like the original Spondon rearsets, the AP calipers, and the original exhaust/can? I see it still has a period ap front master cylinder and the rare Spondon forks.

I had some Dymag wheels redone at Dymag a while back. They look good but I got a few little sharp protrusions in the powder coat, which apparently is common when magnesium is powder coated. They did check them over and changed some dodgy helicoils. However, they failed to spot that the rear wheel was 2mm out of true:(O.o This was 15 years ago, at the original factory. I have painted all of my magnesium wheels since then, and checked that they aren't buckled before faffing about with them.

The frame with nickel plating looks a bit like a Moto Martin, not that MMs are bad. It is a shame someone has cut the tank but overall you must be very happy to have got it back in such good shape. My Spondon project bike when I got it by comparison was a mess.

Edited by Dezza

@Dezzayes, got all the bits back with the exception of the original exhaust can as he has modded it for the orrible carbon can. Also missing the original rear shock. It had a wp shock I think and it now has a CBR shock by the look of it. Will be getting a new shock anyway.

Took the tank to GIA engineering a few months ago and it is now fabricated back to origina as the carb cut out done by the last owner looks crap - no offence.

Pics of the tank work done by GIA

IMG_2649 [204784].JPG

• Like 5

personally I'd go further and suggest "cans" full stop just don't work - always prefer with any of these late 70's to mid 80's fantastic frames with big aircoolled motors the long tapered mid section  to a shorter straight then end cap - all welded up  - like a bigger traditional harris pipe - fabricated to fit with the frame all nicely tucked in versus the bolt on stick out look

On 06/11/2017 at 7:08 PM, spondonturbo said:

This is how I bought her back. The guy was in to his painting. He had obviously put a lot of time I to the paintjob. Pity it only ever saw my tin of paint stripper. Lots of things I did not like but each to their own and he was a really nice guy.

10383486_1687013811558703_7779747176826179190_n.jpg

I just love the tanks on these. That seat unit not so much. Returning it to period race bike would be my choice too.Gorgeous. 

• Like 1

got an inclin to stick a cree bulb with its own lipo cell pack into something like a pair of slabby gsxr headlights - classic endurance racer style - remove for MOT to save any hassle-  if the push bikers get away with causing eppy fits in car drivers with their flashing head torches - no reason why we can't

added pic for some inspiration - apologise for the amature spray job ;)

image(7).jpg

• Like 9
  • 2 weeks later...

Candy Red. Silver base, then Red Candy translucent then laquer. Looks good for powdercoat. Was an absolute git to do. Struggled to find a company that I could beconfident with chemically stripping the Nickel, so this company said they could very lightly blast the nickel to get a key. The problem was the Nickel plating was not a very good job as it varied a lot in thickness. It was very thin in places and "puckered" up with a light blast. Then it was either keep looking for a chemical strip or let the guy spend hours abrading the Nickel down as much as possible. We agreed on the second option and he ended up removing most of the Nickel. It took a few goes at coating to get it right, but was worth all the effort in my opinion.

Now I need to get the dyags crack tested and refurbed so I can start putting a roller together.  longlist of other stuff to do, but one step at a time! 

Pretty much decided on going back to original race paint scheme with all period parts

• Like 2