Electrical help feeling frazzled

martyngsxr

Been having problems with my sparks on the 90 750l I think I’ve tracked it down to the ignition trigger pickup. Now I’m a retard when it comes to electrics I looked in the manual and it does list the resistance it says to probe each pair of terminals as the 750 only has 1 pick up I.e blue and yellow the manual states 135 - 200 ohms. So I put the meter to ohms 2k and put one probe to yellow the other to blue the meter is reading 1.917 I’m reading that as 1917 ohm so a fubared pick up 

I had it on 200 and it didn’t register anything that’s why I raised it to 2k and then it started pumping out bloody high numbers that’s why I’m thinking it is the pick up it was playing silly buggers it was starting and then you leave it for a few hours and then back to square one no spark and by that time I’d put everything back on 

2 hours ago, martyngsxr said:

I had it on 200 and it didn’t register anything that’s why I raised it to 2k and then it started pumping out bloody high numbers that’s why I’m thinking it is the pick up it was playing silly buggers it was starting and then you leave it for a few hours and then back to square one no spark and by that time I’d put everything back on 

Sounds as though the multimeter is playing silly buggers as well. If it read zero on the 200 range then it should read zero on the 2k range. If my one reads 1.917 in the 2k range then it reads 1.917 in the 200 range as well. It would be more likely to read zero in 2k range.

If you are getting 1 (infinty) in the 200 range then it sounds like you have a broken wire to the pulse coil or the coil itself is damaged. Measuring at the coil end will confirm one way or another but from your comments I don't think your multimeter is playing ball. I have had more faulty multimeters than I have pulse generator coils!

ahhh, that makes sense. Its reading infinity, so yes you are seeing 1.9k then. When you said it registered nothing, that would indicate zero. From there, read across the coil at the coil end, if it still reads high then yup, thats your problem. If it reads in spec then you have an issue with one of the wires, either corroded (most likely at plug end) or damage/break somewhere along that wire. I have several pulse coils around so can sort you a replacement if necessary.

Steve

The connectors within blocks can still be loose even if the blocks themselves are good. This is especially the case with the spade sort used on CDIs and the like. I had a problem that I couldn't work out what was wrong. On an efe, 2 block connectors plug directly into the CDI. The spade connector on one block must have been loose because when I renewed the connectors all was fine even though originally both blocks fitted tightly into the CDI.