starting problem only running on 3

Beevis

My bike (a 91 750 with 38mm carbs) had been left sitting for ages and the carbs had got gummed up. I had them all cleaned out and put them back on again with a new throttle cable. I got the bike to fire up on the choke and it was ticking over on all 4 cylinders off the choke when I discovered the new throttle cable was making the throttle valves open up (I had the cable off the twist grip, it was only when I connected it up that I noticed the throttle were opening).  I took the carbs off again and modified the cable to make the throttle shut properly but then when I put it all back together again it only fire up on 3 cylinders, the right hand side exhaust isn't getting hot. I checked there was petrol in the carb by opening up the drain screw and petrol came out, I couldn't check for a spark as I need to get a plug spanner. I have taken the carbs off again, taken off the float bowl off the carb and checked the choke is operating, the jets seem to be ok. I also took the top off to check every thing looked ok. Which jets are used when the bike is on choke is it the pilot jets? When you pull the choke it opens a window in the top of the carb, is that all it does, I can't see that it does anything else. My mate has offered to sort it out for me but I would rather get it going for myself if I can.

A point to note don't by cheap throttle cables off Eblag unless you want head aches!!