6speed in bandit 1200 cases

dupersunc

Anyone else done this? specifically the later Bandit 1200 cases.   I'm just chucking one together with a 750j/k gearbox and it looks like I need to clearance the case a little to clear one of the  gears on the first motion shaft. 

Never heard of his being necessary. Surely the internet can't be wrong?

20 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

Could you try Engineers Blue on the gear that's catching, and,  if it's rubbing on say, a bearing boss with plenty meat on it. Could you not 'ease' the obstruction to gain your needed clearance?

That's what I'll probably end up doing.

Just currious if anyone else had encountered this. If some one has i 'll get busy with tbe die grinder and not waste any time looking for an issue that isn't  there. 

As it stands though, i need ro have a closer look.

It's mixed reviews on the conversion. Some say the 750 gears aren't man enough for the bigger motors, and some have had no trouble at all, after years of use. The conversion has also been used in race motors. I took my gearshaft in to work, to have it drilled for the 750 pushrod. The Turner said it would be a hard job getting a true hole through the shaft, due to the length, and tough to drill because of the case hardening!  It's do-able, but not simple!

Output shaft turns fine. I did occur to me that it's extremely fortunate that fliping the output bearing happens to locate the shaft laterally in the correct spot. It doesn't look like it's catching 2 gears and with 20 thou. Gap between cases it all turns and selects gears fine.

What clutch set up do you use?@cregnybaa

I'm looking at using a hyabusa or tl1000r clutch.

Edited by dupersunc

Well this has been bugging me, so instead of doing anything that might earn me a living, I spent this afternoon stripping this back down and checking every thing. Not quite sure what I'd done, but a did a dry build without crank and it all worked fine. Built it back up again now with the crank etc fitted and torqued up and all is good.

Just me being a mong. 9_9

Cheers for the help.

• Like 2
On 9/6/2017 at 7:17 PM, cregnybaa said:

All of my bikes are 6 speed but I have not used bandit cases on any of them. just built a new big engine using 750 cases and box. I think the problem you have could be something to do with the bigger output bearing

057a.jpg

Not those shonky old things again !!

1 hour ago, Oilyspanner said:

Keep us up to date  with your findings Dupersunc - good thread, I think there's a few of us who have thought about a 6 speed box, or  closer  spaced ratios - not because the engine can't pull  widely spaced  ratios,  just that closer spacing doesn't upset the bike as much when cracking on a bit !  

Will do.  Next, the clutch saga.  Looking at going down a different route to normal.

@cregnybaa

What sprockets do you run for short circuit stuff? I'm currently geared for 155mph at 10,500rpm with my 5speed.

• Like 1