B12 oil temp sender fitting

Alrick

Hi Alrick

Just received an oil temp gauge for my slabby from Koso, it came with a fitting for the main oil gallery on the right-hand side. 

I didn't like the look of it, (don't really know why I didn't like it) & they were selling an oil sump plug adaptor for about eight quid, so I ordered that as well.

Haven't fitted it yet, but got two easy options to go at.

I have two  temperature sensors in my 1100GSXR turbo engine, one is tapped to the cam oil feed plug(bolt?), and the other is in the oil  sump. The first is Koso tacho sensor and the one in the sump is for fuel injection ECU. There is a huge difference in readings: When Koso reading is around 105- 110 deg/C, the one in the sump is 75deg/C! The ecu is shutting the engine down in 110deg. Could there be so big diffrence betrween those two sensors, or one of them giving a wrong reading?

J

like el'capitan underpants said...if the oil was the same temp everywhere there would be no point in having an oil cooler....so do you want to monitor the oil at it's highest or lowest temp while the bike is running? that might give you an idea of where you'd like to take the reading from.

[I wonder if they do a jeans/drive/workshop floor fitment...as that seams to be where my oil ends up]

Fatbloke, that rear brake torque bar looks awfully close the tyre! does it miss? the standard bandit torque bars are doglegged to get around the tyre?

Looks bloody clean too!

Its clean as the picture was taken half way through building it a few years ago B|, its close to the tyre as the front bolts not even done up, and yes it dose clear the tyre by loads, standard bandit torque arm wont fit as its not a bandit....:D

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

sorry if I'm being dumb but what one is this, do you mean the cam end blank hex plugs?

No - its the round one with the allen key center down below and in front of the timing cover as above! Its the main crank oil gallery so make sure your adapter don't leak!

Edited by Gixer1460
  • 1 month later...

I like the idea of knowing the temp as it goes in, as it passes through, it picks up heat from all over the engine.

From the top, its like a measure of how efficiently the oil is taking the heat away.

Also, I would think there would be rapid changes, like you go a bit mad, temp goes up, go through a village, temp goes down.

The sump is more like an average measure of how hard the engine is working.

Having said that, I ragged the arse off it when I get the chance without knowing the oil temp & never really thought about it.

Its probably one more thing to think about & it's an easy fit.

Here's where the gauge is.

try again.jpg