'Something for the weekend, Sir'?

Swiss Toni

A problem, I mean!  B12 motor. Been tarting it up, paint wise. Set the tappets, cleaned carbs, changed oil & filters. Topped up with fresh oil, to the mark. When turning it over to prove oil pressure, I noticed an oil leak on the floor. Maybe half an egg cup. As I'd also had the sump off to clean the screen, I thought it must just be the gasket taking up. Also tightened oil cooler banjo's up too! Left over week end, no more leaks. Oil level was on lower mark, which seemed strange, as I'd only lost a small amount of oil. Topped it up to mark again. On starting the bike, the oil is pissing out! The cam cover, on the left side of the breather box was flooded with oil. It's not coming from the box joint, or the breather pipe to box connection. I noticed a slight pulsing of the oil beside #2 plug as if there was a gas leak under the plug? But it's tight! Cleaned all the oil off, and re-started motor. I was suspecting it was a split in the left side oil drain pipe. Nope! As I was looking at it to confirm, the oil appears to be coming from somewhere above the left side 'Pairs' blank in the front of the head ('99 motor). Quite hard to determine from exactly where, due to exhaust and oil cooler being in the way. And I mean pissing out! Now, the funny thing is, (as well) is the oil level on the clutch case is non-existent! Looks totally empty, yet I've only lost about a cupful! Any ideas? Over-pressurisation? Fucked pressure release valve in sump? Or just generally.....fucked???

If you've got the 'Mickey Mouse' ears gaskets cock about - oil from the head gets into the plug wells and drains out of a drilling just above the exhaust ports. Obviously something in the oil delivery / return system has be disturbed / assembled incorrectly as it doesn't seem to be draining from the head. No rags down the chain tunnel for instance - has been known!

• Like 1

Well, when I calmed down, I thought it may have been a split in the oil cooler, squirting oil onto the front of the head? No!

It's funny you should mention the 'Mickey Mouse' ears. When I was putting the cam covetr back on, all the cover bolts finger tight, I dropped the 4 oil bolts into the cover. All of them entered the holes, bar 1. I removed the cam cover to find that particular 'ear' had moved slightly, blocking the hole.  I re-positioned it, and all the bolts went into their respective holes. But, what you suggest is probably right. They're in the right way round, but may be damaged! I hope! 

On 10 August 2017 at 2:18 PM, Gixer1460 said:

If you've got the 'Mickey Mouse' ears gaskets cock about - oil from the head gets into the plug wells and drains out of a drilling just above the exhaust ports.

You were spot on, mate (y) I'd never have thought of that! When I took the cam cover off, all were in place, bar #2. That's where the leak seemed to be coming from. That gasket was lying in the head. Good job it didn't go down the camchain tunnel! Now, I don't know if I knocked it off on the way in, or out? Anyway, it was slightly damaged so, either way, that was the cause of the leak! I re-placed that one, cleaned the rest up, and the grooves in the cover. Small bead of Silicone in the channel, gaskets fitted and left to set under pressure. Turned it over (not started, 'cos in Dining Room) and, fingers crossed, all seems well! Thanks again!

Now.....how do I get the oil stains out of the block paving???? :(

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...