TL 1000 R what to look for

Guest Manxzookie

Rear suspensions shite /6 pots crap / front forks not got much travel /118bhp on a dyno so much for the 130 bhp / water pump seal can fail / my loom on the left hand side under the fairing panel went up in smoke  most tlr1000 will if looked after will be sorted by now  nice engine  there's much better v twins out there for the same money 

3 hours ago, Manxzookie said:

Rear suspensions shite /6 pots crap / front forks not got much travel /118bhp on a dyno so much for the 130 bhp / water pump seal can fail / my loom on the left hand side under the fairing panel went up in smoke  most tlr1000 will if looked after will be sorted by now  nice engine  there's much better v twins out there for the same money 

So all good then...xD

• Like 1
Guest Manxzookie

Also the cdi unit packed in resulting in me having to push the fucker up ramps etc on the lady off Mann at tt 2001 and the ugly styling yeah I hated mine too only good for straight line blasts maybe that's why the yanks love them 

So a very mixed bag of reviews.

Possibly wont be rushing out to find one unless an utter bargain falls in my lap.

Bit of a shame as I fancy a twin (never had one), cant afford a Bim SB8 :ph34r:, and the fookati 916 are starting to hold silly money, and no I don't want a ponder fire side :stop:.

Guest Manxzookie

the tlr was a bag o shite and was never a sportsbike however the engine was a peach and won a wsb round in the wet with Anthony gobert  but not in the Suzuki frame that was long time ditched in the skip but in a Bimota chassis   I would rather have a s anyday and if I rememeber right the tlr wheelbase is the same as the the original r1 of the day

• 2 weeks later...

Twins are for winners... I've had 3 R's and 2S's in about every reincarnation possible.

Trick them up a bit and they'll handle just fine. Don't believe all hype about the Widow-maker crap. 

Motors are not overly powerful but enough to get you in trouble. 

Currently running an S and i love it. Got 2 R track bikes I'm building ahead of next season. 

It's all about the torque... One you get one, you'll fall in love.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Matt-Man said:

Trick them up a bit and they'll handle just fine. Don't believe all hype about the Widow-maker crap. 

This.

Ohlins fork springs and rear damper on my recent S, forks raised through yokes, modern tyres, chain slack correctly set, all bearings and linkages checked, greased and torqued - sorted. Braided lines, caliper rebuilds and modern pads sorted the braking. No handling issues at all yet still flighty in a fun way if you really pushed it which to be honest meant the front wheel was hovering!

Engine wise it had clearances done, later model water pump cover, plumbing and temp sender location, the common water pump seal fix, injection setup properly, power commander, k&n and cans. I decided to remove and polish the black from the downpipes too, much better look as they are stainless underneath. Went very well with no stuttering/glitches.

I spent time and money getting it perfect for  me (near stock looking yet fully sorted) only to find it aggrevated an old injury while riding to the point of pain each ride so it got sold for an irresistible offer. The new owner is VERY happy with it.

A flawed from new bike however plenty of easily found information on the internet on sorting them and rare now in good unmolested condition so likely to go up in value.

IMG_0728.JPG

• Like 2
4 hours ago, banoffee said:

A flawed from new bike however plenty of easily found information on the internet on sorting them and rare now in good unmolested condition so likely to go up in value.

IMG_0728.JPG

Ye that's cos you just molested it...xD

I'm still tempted, but will have to put on hold till I sell my house.

As I said I prefer the look of the R.

So I may keep an eye out and then spend some cash on suspension..

Once again Thanks every one who has commented.

• 2 weeks later...
On 18.08.2017 at 10:57 PM, Dezza said:

What about one of those Cagiva thingies that had the TL1000 engine? Or was that my imagination?O.o

Raptor and V-Raptor. Only good thing about them is the engine. Not sporty at all, more like a bandit. Quality is a bit "Italian" too (I know because I worked at a Cagiva dealer when they were new).

3 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Raptor and V-Raptor. Only good thing about them is the engine. Not sporty at all, more like a bandit. Quality is a bit "Italian" too (I know because I worked at a Cagiva dealer when they were new).

There was also one that was like a V-Strom, with a tank each side of the frame... My dad had one, but I can't think what it's called.

i like em and have had both with tricked up shocks n stuff great bikes but temperamental and always seem to need something done with them i got rid when i realized all of my garage time was going into one or other of the TLs and my other projects where just gathering dust

garrage 30-03-13 (30).jpg

• 3 months later...

I`ve owned an R since 1999, bought new. Ran it in , crashed it, put it in track trim, raced it a bit, put it back into road trim, I like it.

Ohlins rear fitted after the back tyre fell to bits after 10 laps of Mallory, doesn't overwork tyre now.

Power commander , pipercross air filter with air box modded and cans, not quite as quick in a straight line as a race kitted SP1 I got to play with.

Electrics are crap, I`m an Engineer and didn't believe the posts on how bad the electrics are until I had battery charging problems and measured the volt drops round the loom.

Electrex World regulator and some rewiring with decent gauge cable and no problems since .

Its not really a sports bike imho though, they never really where unless you put them on a drastic diet.

• Like 1