Methanol

5 minutes ago, dupersunc said:

Remove main jets, and leave them on the bench.

Not that far out......need 2 x as much methanol than petrol so yes big jets ....and a Big spark to light it....:)

Mikuni used to do methanol kits for some carbs ...

But a set of no drill's is cheaper....a draw thru on Methanol would be cool "Pun intended" :pimp: 

• Like 2

Undecided hence the asking for information. Just after some bed time stories to swot up on. 

Iv done an hours googling and reading bits and pieces. It just seems the right path for a gear head to take. I don't wanna sit in a pub when I'm old and not have a blended fuel story. 

Edited by Kid Kearsley
  • Like 4

As said you will use loads, you can up the compression up AND boost the tits off it and it won't detonate. Cooling can be restricted but you'll be changing oil very frequently. Only use fresh meth - don't store it as it goes off real quick. Don't leave any in the tank or fuel system - it hates aluminium unless anodised and goes white and furry - try and run gasoline through the engine before storage or yank the plugs and spin the engine whilst squirting WD40 through the induction system - that's about all you need to know! Oh and don't wash yer hands in it or try drinking it - you'll go blind , go mental then die!

• Like 7

there was a guy who sprinted a big alcohol fueled weslake single with a 4v head and a fecking huge shorrocks supercharrger drawing through a 2 inch su carb. his carb was without a float chamber and just had a tube straight from the fuel tank jubilee clipped round the main jet mounting! no jet, just a big hole!! it fucking flew though, over the 1/8th mile i beat him by 1 hundredth of a second on my 1170 katana!

• Like 3

a mate of my uncle has a  DIY race car running the 1/4 mile, he need´s to heat up the engine oil before a sprint, then runs the 1/4, and afterwards the engine is cold, that´s how much energy the methanol draws.

It´s a NA engine

I worked with a guy here in oz, and he built a cheap drag car with a 4 cylinder motor, mechanical FI and a huge turbo. He actually filled the block and head water passages with resin to stiffen the block. And as has been said, i do remember him saying there was no over heating problems because of the methanol .

Mmmmmm........Resin filled methanol WP running big boost?

Edited by slingy1157
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

So after talking to loopy Iv decided against it because I like road riding too much and I like going the pub (via petrol stations) on completely impractical bikes, but not so impractical that I'd require my girl to follow behind me with drums of methanol and boxes of spark plugs and oil. 

• Like 5