Jonny1Bump questions

I didn't want to hijack another thread , so started this one. I've spent a fair bit of time and money shifting weight and on suspension/chassis on my 1100N, but I've got the modding bug , I know you've done a lot over the years and have tried all sorts.

I should look up some of your old posts for more info on your many mods, but as you're around at the moment I thought I'd ask directly .

Did you find the original swing-arm flexed, or perhaps just at the track ? I see you have a braced arm it looks shorter than the 1100's.

What size rims do you run ?  and differences felt - I'm about to buy some recent GSXR600/750 wheels, to fit in the 750K8 front end I've got - I'm a fairly 'keen' rider and so far the 5.5 inch rear rim/tyre seems fine and the 180/55 tyre helps turn in.

Where did you get the carbon panels ? I seem to remember you got them commissioned  somewhere. Slingshot panels are thick and heavy, something to change in the future perhaps.

An ally tank would be nice too.... 5 or 6 lbs knocked off from high up...... it'll have to wait a while as I've got to finish off the new front end and wheels stuff, plus some more engine work is scheduled for the winter..money , money and more money, but worth every penny. 

Ta

Oily

Edited by Oilyspanner

I know my names not Johnny, but for what it's worth, This my experience with getting a Slingshot to handle and stop.

I had a 7/11m, the one in my advatar,  It had the following mods;  10mm shorter dog bones which raise the rear approx 30mm, wp shock with 95 Nmm spring.  Front was stock , forks had 2mm above the top yoke 10w oil stock air gap, and 9.5 springs.  Ran a 180/60 rear  Supercorsa SC2 rear sc1 front. Pressures 32f 27r hot.  Brakes were stock save for EBC HH pads and braded hoses.

Everything else was stock, light bodywork wheels etc. In that spec I ran towards the front of the fast group at track days. 2:09s at Snetterton, Low 1:44s at Cadwell, 1:47s at Cartagena. So a second or two off Johnny's best.

If I still had the bike, I wish I did, I would have fitted a Brembo radial M/c, it stopped well enough but it took some effort. I would also gone for some lighter wheels as direction change was sluggish.  Then I would have gone looking for more power.

Never had an issue with the swing arm flexing, or the frame.

Modern tyres really transform these bikes, they are still really capable. I prefer them to the modern 1000cc super bikes, RSV4 excepted.

Edited by dupersunc
  • Like 2

I thought you were pretty handy superdunc ! - thanks for your comments, good to know you didn't notice any s.arm flex on track (more possible twist than on the road), I think the arm is pretty light, so that's good.  I've not been on track with my 1100, I think it would be good fun though.  I love this bike, I've had loads of others but this one will stay until my teeth fall out and my middle leg stays permanently shrivelled !!

I've got my rear raised 30mm with a longer Nitron shock, tried  shorter tie rods to lift it more and didn't like it, up until now I had fitted uprated fork springs, thinner oil and alu spacers to the forks - worked pretty well. Have to agree with the EBC HH pads, work a treat, I fitted a Nissin radial m/cylinder from recent GSXR - really good mod, almost a shame to be swapping to the radial calipers.

I'll be getting close to 100lbs saved with the 750K8 forks and wheels fitted. So many bits on the Slingshots are made of steel, when Alu could've been used, or bits could've been simplified - that's what I did mostly and getting rid of the very heavy std headlight for a modified fireblade one(under half the weight). I had the later straight spoke wheels fitted, with alu spacers 'n' stuff - saved 5lb over the heavy twisted spoke originals. The  current 750 type wheels will save pretty much the same again, the majority from the rear hub/sprocket carrier. The front wheel weighs 9lb, the Slingy front 11lb 10oz  (bearing and spacer fitted) and I got my slightly altered straight spoke down to 10lb. The modern discs save over a pound too - so there's pretty much 4lb saved by fitting the current front wheel, will be very obvious - the straight spoke made a good change too.  I think Daytona 675 wheels are about as light as oem get, I found a figure of 8lb 4oz for them - but I'm not sure if that's with bearings. CBR600RR fonts are 8lb9oz. Trouble with other makes of wheels I couldn't find hub widths etc to mate up with my forks.

• Like 2

Some real good advice there and dupersunc really showing what can be achieved without going ridiculous on spending.

It sounds like you done all major stuff already and really does sound like you have being listening.

It all important and all about getting your package to work.

Wheels so important as said, especially gyroscopic effect really felt full lean from one side to the other that zaps strength out of your body so much. Im running galespeeds, at time were trick and right price nowadays Late k so so much lighter as you have done. Modern Ducati wheels ridiculous light. Get what you pay for but affect everthing.

Forks k1 reworked and reworked some more with lots k tech help. They are short so need to really think carefully about fork length. Again modern stuff now so much better.

Shock custom built technoflex its being hacked up so many times and altered. I disagree about using dog bones its better to use shock length has less effect on rising rate linkages but you will still have alter spring rate. This checked setting all preload sag then fully kitted sit on bike firmly re measure sag and change spring accordingly.

I can do detailed explanation with this if required.

Brakes i like Ap I think they just superb Ap and Isr are the only ones to use if using 6 pot put again modern supstitutes are so good. 

Yokes if using radial forks easy to use the complete set up but alot times will alter head angle in negative way. Took me a while to get head round this when k tech drew it out i understood.

Flex not always bad thing in frame ive never noticed it being problem. Swinger has top nws brace came at right time and money and looks good. Stock 11 length. Does add weight bad thing but does handle better with in in my opinion and sprockets wear better so must being flexing. Modern stuff big hollow spindle weight and strength.

Fairing Zero limits took forever quality good and if want copies mine speak to Lisa they have moulds.

Im no where as quick since hurt knee now out practice.

Engine very heavy need remove weight out of it also add power. Oh headlight mega heavy and in complete wrong place for handling as you have done already.

Ive spent hours at TT staring at bikes and measuring different bikes. It kept my mates entertained.

Create a log book of everything all rather sad really.

Edited by jonny1bump
  • Like 4

Thanks J1B and dupersunc - I knew you both appreciated good handling and have tried allsorts .so thanks gents - often good to ask what others have done and what has worked for them - saves time/sweat/tears etc !

Yep, the engine is a heavy lump, full of torque and character, but built for strength really - a chunk lighter than the air cooled GSXs though... 

I found Jonny1Bump's thread in the Forum - OSS member projects, It's a great read -24 years of ownership and evolution. I know most people on this board look in there anyway, but anyone who drops by, or hasn't been there - have a look at the accounts of many member's projects, loads of different types of build, all great in their own way.

Makes my bits fabricating aluminium brackets, altering parts etc look junior ! 

I found loads of late K 1000 rear wheels and not so many 600/750  5.5 inch rims _ I think pretty much everyone runs 5.5 ones, I knew Jonny ragged his bike

I removed the tag I added initially 'how to make a Slingshot handle' - cos it misleading, I've managed to get my 1100 to handle unrecognisably better - should've put 'finishing touches', but anyone who has the modding bug knows - it's never fully finished !

• Like 3

Im actually running 6 inch rim with 530 chain. I had to machine sprocket carrier as I presume alot of members on here have and spaced engine sprocket a little to get good chain run. Its all rather close. 

Have to run good chain slack as jacked up. Its all bit of compromise really.

• Like 1