Jump to content

Wheelie Kid

Recommended Posts

  • 5 months later...

I split that cheap motor down and salvaged what I could from it.

It's been a while for an update as I thought it best to build it as a newish motor to secure its future for as long as possible. I set about collecting parts. New crank shells, rod shells, cam chain, cometic gaskets all round, 1216 HG, viton stem seals and the usual plugs and oil filter. 

The bottom end has been assembled using its original APE main studs, and APE cylinder studs from its hay day. The Gen1 Busa rods  have been plastiguaged to the crank to check it's oil clearance. 

Gearbox came from the donor motor including the clutch basket. APE Trac King plates and steels will handle the power with an FBM single stage lock up. 

This is all a little bit excessive for a street motor but you never know what will be in its future so let's proof that now. 

I have a 1216 bored barrel with Gen1 busa pistons on the shelf. I need to source a gsxr 11 head before I can continue due to a bad reaction from an industrial cleaning bath, lesson learned. 

Been raiding those spare parts something Wicked. 






  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • 3 weeks later...

Did a 500 mile round trip to collect the other half of the turbo kit, a carbon sealed Garrett gt28 with a billet wheel, plenum, carb mount and fuel pump bits. Threw it all on tonight and nothing really lines up, it's close and nothing that cannot be sorted. 

The exhaust link pipe needs lengthening a few mil, shifting over a few mil and a new flange welding on. The plenum intake needs cutting and remaking and a chop cut stick of the turbo inlet to carb mount. 

Good start though 




  • Like 4
Link to comment

I have decided to remake the exhaust side pipe to the turbo as the one I have had the wrong turbo flange and it doesn't fit for where I need the turbo, plus I want to relocate the wastegate position.

I will upgrade the pipe to SCH10 316 

I liberated some pipe from the yard and bought 3 90s on the work account.

A wizard in the office gave up an hour of his time on Saturday to draw me up some new flanges on CAD so I could run them on the plasma cutter using 10mm stainless plate. 



  • Like 2
Link to comment

The finish on the plasma is a bit rough to be honest as it's just setup to cut dirty big bits of steel for work, I didn't have the plasma cut the bolt holes out for this reason. IMG_20211009_130355015.thumb.jpg.98168407d3c7f9ee2e4bb0fac5dd63f7.jpgQuick clean up with a soft pad and drilled the holes.IMG_20211009_142606004.thumb.jpg.91f9e9820878118b0b50d40da54068c2.jpg By this time I was getting booted out the door as its a weekend n all.. 

Have a final clean up before fitting. 


  • Like 3
Link to comment

Head saga almost over. The Head I tried to get clean just wasn't going to be clean enough. Managed to drop lucky with @Katanahaving an old slingshot head that required so love, many thanks for that, and @jbfor being the halfway house on it. 

Set the boy to work on this one. Got it stripped and degreased.




Have spare damaged heads that I used for parts. Assembled the best of a bad bunch and cleaned um up.IMG_20211020_112426940.thumb.jpg.0f94f333c70147efb8d41a9b7fd407bb.jpg

Head is assembled. Just waiting to hear back from the machinist now that the rebore has been done and I can start putting the rest of the motor together. 


  • Like 11
Link to comment
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...