Purple 88

That looks nice.

Dont ditch the airbox, Im running the same carbs  as yours 36mm on my 85 blue and white and it's been a nightmare to get it to run right it's now running a factory pro jet kit.

You should also replace the emulsion tubes as they get ovalised from the needles.

I've got a set of brake lines for sale if your interested?

Clear braided made in Uk.

Ant

• 2 weeks later...

Dropped the exhaust into an electrolysis setup and pretty happy with the result. It was submerged for about 26 hours total. Tank is currently being done and will start on mid pipe once that's done. 

IMAG0858.jpg

IMAG0862.jpg

IMAG0865.jpg

Edited by Dazzler
  • Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

Carbs back together, exhaust cleaned and clearances checked. Have to grab a new battery and oil tomorrow and hoping to bolt it back together and fire it up. Fingers crossed. 

Oh will an ohlins shock for an RGV fit/work on this. Could it possibly just be spring that makes it different to a gsxr one? Kinda clutching at straws to hopefully get it to fit i think.

Have a couple of track days booked at phillip island in november and plan on taking the purple 88 to at least one of them. Lots to do before then tho. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone got a pic of carbs in or a hose diagram? Where does the vacuum hose from the fuel tap connect to the carbs? 

I connected an aux fuel tank and tried to start it. It fired up pretty quick, but was revving it's guts out so I stopped it, now I can't get it to fire up again. Haven't had much time to look into it properly tho, too busy with real work...

Thanks for the pics and info. All the carb vacuum ports are covered plus i have a hose coming off a carb boot, what is that for?

Below is pic of my current setup. White T intersection goes to fuel bottle, breather hoses(?) sticking up toward camera and the skinny hose with white marks near oil breather hose comes from carb boot...

IMAG0882.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having no luck getting it started. 

It cranks (new battery), it has spark (new plugs), it has fuel (cleaned carbs, new o-rings and jets) but it doesn't even sound close to firing up. Valve clearances checked twice, exhaust on tight as are carbs

Left coil connected to #1 and #4, right coil connected to #2 and #3.

What am i missing?

Verify you have spark and fuel? Pull a plug and hold it with the lead on it against the engine while cranking. You should also be able to smell fuel while cranking, or pull a plug and it should be wet. When you checked the valves, did you pull the cams? If the cams are 180 out the engine will turn over fine, but you'll feel it sucking on the exhaust rather than blowing. CDI hooked up?

• Like 1

CDI connected. Pulled plugs and all sparked against engine, i think all were wet, i wiped em off as soon as i got them out. Didn't pull cams when i checked valves so i guess they are ok unless previous owner put them in wrong way. 

I am thinking something is still not right with carbs even though i renewed a lot of bits. Sigh i guess i'll check them again.

Thanks for input guys.

It lives!!!

Swapped the vacuum hose from where it was (when i bought it) on carb boot to where diagrams in manual shows it on carb. Boom! Fired up, twist throttle, nothing... 

I'd forgotten to put throttle cable back into switch block after replacing carbs. After letting it run for a few mins, switched it off and put throttle cable back into switch block, bike wouldn't start again...pulled throttle out, bike started again...

Anyway, bike starts now with throttle cable in but revs real high. I loosened cable a bit and the idle adjuster, revs lowered a bit but still revving pretty high.

Happy to at least get it running and will look into it more another time. 

5 hours ago, Dazzler said:

Anyway, bike starts now with throttle cable in but revs real high. I loosened cable a bit and the idle adjuster, revs lowered a bit but still revving pretty high.

Happy to at least get it running and will look into it more another time. 

Suck eggs time - back out idle adjustment screw completely so not touching the throttle arm, then loosen / tighten throttle cable at twist grip until you get about 2mm of freeplay in the cable, then adjust the idle adjustment screw till the throttle blade is just cracked open. Start and if it idles low then screw the idle screw in a bit till correct ...... usually 800 - 1100 rpm depending on the bike.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

COP coils and connectors on their way. Bought an S1000rr shock for it, but it's gone missing in the mail...apparently.

Installed a new throttle cable the other day and noticed the one removed has two nuts at carb end where the new one only has one, plus it is slightly longer. Doesn't lock into position like the old one did, has a bit of movement. Hopefully can get out to the garage Sunday to sort it and get it tuned correctly. 

Still aiming to get it to Phillip Island at one of the track days I have booked in November.