Purple 88

Hey,

Picked up an 88 750 last week. Hasn't been used for ten years apparently and has been sitting in a shed. Nooks and crannies full of spider webs and nests so it's definitely been sitting unused for some time. Paint is actually a real good job.

So was wondering if it has a genuine yosh system on it or is it a home job?

IMAG0792.jpg

IMAG0787.jpg

IMAG0791.jpg

IMAG0790.jpg

Thanks Fazz.

Got exhaust off last night, thought it would be major drama but no real issues. Lots of surface rust on headers but no holes.

Tank had some muddy liquid in it which turned out to be acetone. Inside of tank is not too bad apart from some giant flakes of rust that was floating around in the acetone. Have to get em out sommehow.

Anyone have suggestions on attempting to get rust off headers? Electrolysis...acid bath?

Welcome! Electrolysis for the pipes. Phosphoric Acid ( Pool Cleaner) mixed 4-1 with water for the tank. Failing that, White Vinegar. You could also mix a tin of Black Treacle (Molasses) to a bucket of boiling water, and sling that in! Don't do the usual 'handful of nuts' to loosen rust from the tank insides, instead use a length of chain (not a bike chain), far easier to fish out than nuts!

Edited by Swiss Toni
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Hi and welcome.

That exhaust looks a lot like the Yoshi I had on my '88 750. But mine had the duplex system.

First thing I looked for when I picked it up was the duplex header. Still looks like all other Yosh type headers I can see with a google search. End can I am not so sure of...

2 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

Welcome! Electrolysis for the pipes. Phosphoric Acid ( Pool Cleaner) mixed 4-1 with water for the tank. Failing that, White Vinegar. You could also mix a tin of Black Treacle (Molasses) to a bucket of boiling water, and sling that in! Don't do the usual 'handful of nuts' to loosen rust from the tank insides, instead use a length of chain (not a bike chain), far easier to fish out than nuts!

Electrolysis is my first choice to try remove rust from exhaust. Tank is quite good but might try some kind of light acid bath to get more off, cap has no lock so will need to seal it somehow so I can flip it upside down.

Ah, at the bars...I got carbs out no probs by removing boots into airbox, getting that throttle cable off tho...

Couldn't get airbox out either, alternator is in the way. 

Does a heat shield plus side covers = an airbox (or closely) I am assuming you would still want to run with some kind of filters on carbs. Does a heat shield really help? Summer can get pretty hot here and I remember my L model being a bit rough in the heat.

Smart looking bike Dazzler, those exhausts are pretty rare now too !

The standard airbox can supply over 150hp worth of air with the right filter in it (feeding 90-100hp isn't going to be a problem), the short stroke motors like the a.box and it shields a lot of the heat from the engine entering the filter - the cool air duct from the front helps too. The rubbers from the carbs to a.box act as velocity stacks too . . . the standard set-up with jet kit and filter will net the best overall power - it just seems a bit boring, it works well though ! 

So looks like it doesn't have standard jet sizing or needles in it. I guess you would expect that with yosh exhaust on it. 

Also think rotor pickup is not standard. Doesn't have Denso on it, only three dots for tdc. Will hopefully get out for a look tonight...if i get home from work at a decent hour

Yeah i am in Melbourne...not too close to Cairns lol. 

The needles are $11 ea new so not too bad. Was expecting to pay more tbh. Ordered all new o-rings too and fuel lines. Front brakes still feel solid but kinda thinking of replacing with braided, will have to get new discs most likely too. 

I used to live near Mick Hone and thought they closed down not long ago. I used Western Motorcycles in Penrith for the online order. Great service from spares team and had parts in my hand a few days later. Bit cheaper than others too. 

On a side note...

Big fan of black and red colour schemes. Found this pic and am considering aiming for something resembling this. 

FB_IMG_1496348157924.jpg

• Like 2