Cam timing

Ok,  I've had the rocker cover off of my kitten the other day due to a twisted gasket and, noticed that my cams are retarded by half a tooth. As I'm about to do the shims do I. Leave them retarded, or advance them? Now I don't know it's history apart from assuming it was used as a track bike or just decked early, due to it's whining.Small pits on inlet side of 1-4 piston tops, and. Only having three an a half thou on the clocks when I got it in a box. I do know the guy before me got it in 2000 and never did anything apart from rip it down.I got it in 2011 and, got round to finishing it in 2015. Since then I've only put another 6 thou on it. Oh it get's raged so top end over mid. 

Does it run good or bad? If the former - why worry, leave it alone. How are you going to adjust out 'half a tooth' without adjustable sprockets - which is probably just production tolerances and a bit of wear anyway.

I'd be more concerned about ragging a shimmed head anywhere near the redline consistently!