Slabbies and why we need them....

So why did I need one...we all have our stories wanted one as a kid etc,etc.

I was lucky enough to be old enough to buy one 2nd hand but not run in back in 1987.Picked up from Cusworths on a sunny day and even stopped by the feds on the way back to Nottingham because they wanted to look at it:).

I bought it to race but never got that far as after 5 weeks an old bloke pulled out in front of me in the wet and I went over his car,the bike didn't and ended up going through a fence then landed head first in a pond now drowning:(.

Fast forward a year and bike repaired on the cheap after insurance payout....steering head was now oval ish but a st damper cured it until once again an old guy with a caravan pulled in front of me on the old M1j 24 island I was heading towards north bound but never made it and hit him at least doing 70 the bike sparked round the island and went down the A453 and I flew through the air behind it.

Cuts and bruises only thanks to my sambas and paddock jacket jeans combo 

pic of the bike after 2nd repair and new frame with new gear thanks to compo pay out

IMG_0124.JPG

• Like 6

When I bought it it still had the same hi sports on as featured in the pics,I negotiated a fair price and foolishly decided to ride home from London to Nottingham,with the cracked tyres  :ph34r:

It wouldn't tick over,carbs crapped up and the brakes barely worked but made it home,god bless oil cooled motors.

• Like 2

Over the first weeks thought I could just fix and clean a  few bits and ride it during the summer, quickly found issues in these categories 

1) Things that were going to kill me-knackered suspension,non working brakes and circa 2004 tyres.....:TB:

2) Things that wouldn't kill me but would eventually fall off then try to kill me- everything made of rubber including original brake lines

3) Things  that were rotten looking and could be made to look better with some TLC and a bit of paint

4) The unknown things that only appear every time I go for a blast

• Like 8

I gave up with the original list quite quickly it was too depressing, it would have turned into a £20,000 bike but I didn't have much budget other than about £50 a month so the best thing was to take some action.

Took the bike off the road and started to dismantle bit by bit then boxed and labelled the parts I was keeping or refurbing.

Anything destined for the bin was put on the need to get it list.

This list could then be decided whether 2nd hand or new was the order of the day.

Edited by Simbec1863

Another interruption to the build thread with a few more pre summer jobs done today.

New chain riveted properly after my old chain tool died got an AFAM riveter top tool not expensive either and dead easy to use.

Had to drop the exhaust to change the oil and filter so gave it a clean.Fitted the ignition advancer I've had knocking around in my tool box for a couple of years.

IMG_0286.JPG

IMG_0279.JPG

Edited by Simbec1863