Cam to cam oil links

Phill106

I think they are M14 or M16. If you have access to a lathe the extg plugs can be drilled and tapped for a M10 Banjo and use dash 4 or 5 hose. Not sure if you can get dash 6 hose sized banjos with M10 bolts - might have to go up to a M12 bolt BUT the plug gets a bit thin but it can be done as i've got some from my dragbike motor.

How does this work ?  The oil goes up the outer studs to the camshafts galleries.  I've been road racing these things for 15 years and Cregnybaa for over 30 years.  The camshaft journals look new in all the engines I've stripped and neither myself nor Cregnybaa have fitted these link lines.  All of the engines we have worked on have been high mileage second hand units of unknown history regarding oil changes etc.

Edited by canamant
additional info

I agree, just about totally unnecessary, but if you push some pressure into the cams from the ends it should give the journals an easier time. I think it makes sense if this oil then ends up giving the Rockers an easier time if you are forcing the cam ramps. Also makes some sense, to me, that you lose little  in the way of cooling. 

I am trying to get my head (pun :lol:) around this, I can see some benefit of running a baby cooler in this circuit, but I am insane and only think about engines being tortured for way longer than most people would. I'm thinking that the lift on the pump is probably not quite good enough. Endurance Racing, it does make you think slightly differently. O.o

Now I have a link to a very small, temp controlled, oil bypass valve. It is from SkiDo's, so thermostatic switching of the circuit could be possible.

Sorry if I am rambling on, but I tried a load of this stuff with Old Trumpets back in the day, which is probably the least sophisticated oil cooling solution that you can image. Now this Is an oil cooled motor, I'm sure that cooling could be improved.  

At the moment though I'm not clear in my head where the standard filter and cooler fit in the loops. Cool, clean oil is obviously what the pump wants and should be fine for delivery to the major bearings. All the real heat though is up top, If I could deliver cooler oil there it should let the whole lump perform better.

We can waste our time discussing whether this modification improves performance, but we know it most certainly makes a bike look faster.  But seriously, did the factory sponsored race teams do this?  I figure they had the most tech support and would know best what benefits there are.  They also had a lot to loose; bike failing at the track would lead to lower sales.  I don't push my stuff that hard; it would be for looks if I did it. 

• Like 1

To a point I agree with the un-neccessary argument but there's also nothing to say they harm or hurt the oil distribution! Me personally - I don't run oil up the barrels to feed the top end so need them with an additional external feed. With my hybrid motor - GSX bottom and GSXR top, the pump although uprated didn't need the aggro of negotiating the block galleries and jets but just had to get to the lumpy cams as directly and smoothly as possible.

13 hours ago, Sheep said:

Are the cam to cam links actually beneficial in any way Gixer1460?..just curious

None whatsoever. If you are putting an oil feed to the cams different matter, cam to cam basically just equalises any pressure difference, not always a good thing. If you have 1 worn journal giving a low pressure on that cam, you will be reducing oil to the rest....

• Like 2

Just to add my bit xD I've put can to cam links on one of my bikes, by using the standard can end bolts and drilling and tapping them to fit the standard m10 banjo bolt, then cutting and re-tapping the thread of a m10 banjo bolt to the m8 size on the can cover side hole. I then used the standard size brake line hose.

A local machine shop could do this for you for not a lot of cash.