Katana 1170 et bike racer

et1170

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

5 weeks until the festival of power and it has crept up on me!  Engine built and to be collected from grumpy on saturday. Sprocket outrigger to be made, offboard starter needed, entries in by 20th of march! Dyno booked for 25th and hope to test on 28th. We will see. Here she is as she sits today.

20200301_172928.jpg

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Had an amazing first outing of the new 1325 efe motor. Clutch was a mile out to start with but managed a 9.42 at 142 by the end of the weekend.  Thats with a 1.6 60ft ! More clutch adjustment and a tail wind will see this old Kat close to 8 seconds ,  that,ll do me.

20200802_174441.jpg

• Like 10

Well! ran a 9.23 into a huge headwind to break out on my 9.25 dial in , big pb achieved. unfortunately the cam sprockets worked loose and a smallish lump of cam dissappeared into the depths somewhere. in the process of slowly stripping her down , would be nice to find the bit before getting too deep but not sure all the valves will have survived anyway! isnt going fast fun! 

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Missed the 2nd round of etbike due to the breakage. Roger replaced 5 valves and a seat super fast for me. 8 hour drive to get it on the thursday  though so I could rebuild it for racing that weekend. Got to the Pod and had Jake Mechaul sorting the cam timing for me til nearly midnight Friday. Up saturday morning to put the last few bits together ready for qualifying. Was called down 3 times only for the rain to come back. Saturday ended up being a total washout. But the bike did sound good and crisp so looked forward to a better day Sunday.......

Sunday dawned and we were called down very early! First run I was a bit tentative on the launch but the bike ran well and did a 9.4 at 140mph.  Next qualifier I was ready and dialled in 9.1 seconds.  Upped the launch revs slightly and nailed it. It took me slightly by surprise as can be seen in the video.  1.34 60ft and stormed to my first 8 ever.  8.98 at 148mph.  Still not far into 5th so adding a couple more teeth to the rear for easter.  Roger certainly knows how to build a cylinder head! Thanks for all your help and support. Roll on 2021. 

• Like 3
  • 6 months later...

Well, easter was missed.  Entered in etbike at the Pod on May 22nd weekend for first round of acu championship.  13 entered in the biggest UK bike class. Looking forward to trying it out with new gearing , should really fly now, or spin!!

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from the Springspeed Nationals at Santa Pod , round 1 of the ACU championship.  Rain meant we had one qualfying run on saturday and one on sunday , then the event was called off before eliminations! My first run of the year on Saturday saw me dial in my pb time of 8.98 seconds , thinking that if I went too quick and broke out at least it would be a pb.  2 more teeth on the rear and a little less weight on the lock up clutch being the only changes from last year. The Kat hooked up pretty well and stormed to 8.99 seconds at 147 mph , this was enough to give me number 1 qualifier spot in a 13 bike field which was unbeaten on the second run. shame we couldnt do any elimination runs but the bike is in good fettle and I will lead the championship going into the Festival of Power at the end of June. Happy days!

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Off to Santa Pod for 4 days for the Festival of Power. Our biggest event of the year. Weather not looking good but will do our best to keep the Kat on top of the pile. Still looking for a 150 mph terminal speed. Main thing is to bring her home in one piece. 

Festival of power.  Just recovered! Number 1 qualifier, bye in round 1, beat by Paul Adams in round 2. It was close but I could and should have made it closer. Still learning that things happen differently at 149mph than 125mph. Couple of boggy starts messed up my consistency a bit and made a couple of adjustments for the run which meant the Kat flew, running a second pb of 8.85 while rolling off sometime before the finish. Had a great time with all the usuall guys and girls at the event. Well done to Philip Pratt for the great win and Matt the chop Jones for an amazing event. Thanks obvs to my crew, Carl, Marie, Jon, George and Dave. 

20210624_222501.jpg

• Like 4
23 hours ago, et1170 said:

Festival of power.  Just recovered! Number 1 qualifier, bye in round 1, beat by Paul Adams in round 2. It was close but I could and should have made it closer. Still learning that things happen differently at 149mph than 125mph. Couple of boggy starts messed up my consistency a bit and made a couple of adjustments for the run which meant the Kat flew, running a second pb of 8.85 while rolling off sometime before the finish. Had a great time with all the usuall guys and girls at the event. Well done to Philip Pratt for the great win and Matt the chop Jones for an amazing event. Thanks obvs to my crew, Carl, Marie, Jon, George and Dave. 

20210624_222501.jpg

Well done Gary!