New bandit???????

dam't near spot on the same - i,m 920mm if you drop a plumb line down +/- 930 axle to axle - yet i'm 140mm from the sprocket centre to the swing arm - your build looks like the sprocket is nearer to the swing arm. - I've read that Harris based the mag3 on their F1 chassis - atleast with this bit they obvious did 

(y)

many thanks 

4 hours ago, Gammaboy said:

I reckon that might need a bit less ride-height...

How long is the swingarm?

Ride height hasn't been set yet, I freed off the adjusters and wound it right down and right up to see how much travel there is, im going to put a full engine in to get the sag right first then set ride height for my fat arse.

Ill measure the swinger later on shipmate:tu

Cheers. Obviously the frame loops on this one are too tight for a GSX lump, but given that it's the same dimension on Nlovien's Mag3 to the front axle, circa 1420mm looks to be as tight a frame as you can wrap around an air cooled motor.... which is not too bad - YB8s, famed for being compact, were the same.

my original harris swinger is 530mm centre to centre +/- same as the CBR1000 arm i'm now using - I modified my frame to original fit a CB900 based motor - one of the longest out there, an air cooled GSX1100 does also now fit - my frame was originally built for a GPZ1100A1 - a big lump of a thing - so where's the difference ? take a close look at the triangulation bracket linking the bottom of the head stock to the frame down tubes - I think this F1 frame has the down tubes raked further back = pushing the engine further back - anyway, it looks like where the frame front down tubes drop from the headstock is where you can find room for a bigger engine - dependant on what harris originally built the frame for

whats interesting is  - it also looks like my sprocket location is further fwd - add in an extra 30mm on the swing arm length = two frames with a lot in common but the front/back weight bias will be quite different - add in, I'm using the big fat 130 profile 16" front from MrHonda fireblade  V I think your using a 17" rim ? - going to be different handling bikes - buddy we'll have to meet up some day and compare 

Mmmmmm interesting......B|

I have 17 inchers in there as they were left over from my mag2, I contacted Harris t see what info thye had, they have no record of what it was built for engine wise, but its an original early 80's frame. It wasn't registered for the road until 1997, so I  presume was used for racing??? its a very early number as well..... The V5 says it had a gpx600     engine fitted in 1997 when first registered on a Q,O.o, when I acquired it, it had the gsxr750 water cooled engine and was rebuilt in the guise like when I got hold of it..red frame and all !!!!!!:)

Its very tight for an oily 1127 but I think it will work without any frame modification, I don't want to go that route, worst case will be a 750 oily gsxr engine, which will go in easy peasy....:tu

this was mine before I mangled it - ref: the green version when it was the Harris frame for the big fat GPZ block - note - I had room to turn and feed No1 and 4 ex header inside the frame downtube

- although I bent the RH downtube, swing arm, bell crank pivots and seat rails - when I jigged her the headstock to swing arm pivot was true -- Harris built these things like the 4th rail bridge 

Harrisoriginal.jpg

On 04/04/2017 at 7:27 PM, fatblokeonbandit said:

this is how  I got it, same as the frame below I think????

DSCN0231_zps1hnwixiv.jpg

16420d1444408233-harris-kz750-imag0930_z

Before I scrolled down I was thinking of the frames Harris made in 1983-84 when the capacity limits for F1 and endurance bikes went from 1000 to 750. They did frames for the aircooled GPZ750 engine and the GSX750E engine. The Kawasakis, like the one in the pic, were most well-known as they were raced by Jim Wells and Asa Moyce. Then in 1985 Suzuki introduced the GSXR750......

On ‎04‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 5:06 PM, Swiss Toni said:

Garry, why don't you drop Laura a line. She may know a bit more about original spec? 

Dose she still live at the same address?? it was 20 years ago, Ill drop a line and see what happens.... it doesn't really matter anyway as it will end up totally different..:tu

And at the end of the day if it proves to be far to difficult to fit the 1216 engine, then a 750 oily engine will go in with miles of room to spare..:D

The can might be too far back but im not going to chop up that full arrows 4-2-1, but its definitely tooo long. Ive got another set of down pipes as plan B.:)

Anyway, next move is to make some templates out of 2mm ally then makes some 8 or 10 mm proper mounts. Just need a month off of work and a big pile of cahs and it will be done:(

Im going to leave the frame for now and ride it to see how it is, then decide on colour and stuff for the frame........:tu

still dont know If I like the red o.O

• Like 1

The reasoning is that there's so much to do to this bike the bandit wheels fit straight in to replace the red slingshot ones that were in it and I get the 5.5 inch rear, the spokey ones would have taken new spacers and calliper hanger and I just haven't got the time !!! they will come later once it all sorted and taken apert for frame powder coating........

As to engines !! if the 1100 engine wont fit properly, and its the exhaust spacing that's critical, then a 750 oily motor might have to be fitted????? As its a lower height to the exhaust ports then they will further down between the tubes where the splay aprt more and it will all be good...?? I hope????O.o

Anyway ill find out when I stick the good motor in with the exhaust stubs fitted..:)