Malpassi fuel regulator

Tombola

32 minutes ago, Tombola said:

I could wait till you do yours gringo xD

xD You might be waiting a while. I can't even get my bike running normally aspirated, let alone with the turbo!

I'll see about clipping the spring soon though, i'm aiming for 1-2 psi base pressure because the carbs on the 400 are so delicate

Ergh I might have to the plunge then, I want to dyno mine soon to set the carbs up.

strange it won't start I take you your checked spark, fuel, compression? Did you move your timing at all? Some people have others haven't not sure which side of the fence to be on O.o

I shall mention the fact I put 15psi to them first time I turned on the fuel pump :pimp: makes a mess...

On 2/20/2017 at 6:57 PM, Tombola said:

Interesting! 

doesn't make sense I thought these referenced inlet pressure, so I expected to see no pressure at standing then I had to adjust the pressure for couple psi and it would rise with boost! 

They do but you have to set a baseline static pressure first then they add boost pressure on to it. If you had no pressure static you wouldn't get any fuel!

• Like 1

Thank you, like I said there is plenty I want to change like everything is in stainless so heat will be a issue, fuel tap is a pain in the arse, shouldn't of put the oil return so high, don't like how the pipes route round, I could go on xD

But it works I can 'hopefully' use it on the road, keep interest and change bits as I go! 

• 2 months later...

A Malpassi FPR is supposed to operate 1:1 ratio. What does that mean ? referenced boost pressure taken from carbs or plenum is always 1 psi thereabouts above boost to maintain fuel going into the bowls and the engine doesnt lean out.

I fitted a fuel pressure gauge before the FPR but after the fuel pump, and another after the FPR but before the carbs and took measurements to set the static pressure key on only fuel pump active. Preset to between 2-3 psi is what I found to work best for my set up, anything less and the boost pressure overcomes the fuel delivery.

Once I achieved that, I started the bike and watched as the Fuel pressure dropped to 1-1.5 psi running. This should therefore always give you fuel pressure over boost pressure at any throttle position. Boost reference for mine had to be taken from the carbs between 2 and 3, where as most take the boost reference from the plenum. This is ok on the 36 and over carbs, but the 34's were not happy with that. I run two fuel pumps. Why ? because I had a fuel pump failure on a run 300 k's from nowhere and had to organise a pick up only to find out it was a melted earth lead. SO now, I am prepared for this eventuality - bad luck for the most part, but in Australia, an Ice cream truck will melt on the country roads.

2hqb3b5.jpg

• Like 2