Am I missing out

Not sure if Im in the right category posting this but here goes...

Ive noticed since being on here that quite a few of you have  Turbo bikes,and Ive never had one:(

So now youve got me thinking about it my only problem is I wouldnt know my ass from my elbow with one,to get a bike and fit one or to buy  complete turboed bike:banana:

4 minutes ago, Paulm said:

Dave Dunlop at FastByMe Turbo Systems comes highly recommended from me,ride in ride out turbo kits makes life very easy,goes in normally aspirated and comes out turboed and ready to rock!

Thats where I'll be going Paul once I track down the right affordable old skool doner bikeB|

9 hours ago, Simbec1863 said:

Thats where I'll be going Paul once I track down the right affordable old skool doner bikeB|

Build one,ET,EFE,GS,will all take a Blandit motor, or aCB 750/900 just to be different, personally I'd do a GS750 with a Blandit motor if I were to build another.

Build one ... but go into it eyes open. It will cost.

Also be wary that it's what you want from a bike. The truth probably is (based on my own experience of riding but not owning one) that a turbo bike is often typically slower for the most part than the bike that started the process, most of the time. Low compression makes a bike flat and unresponsive. That is until they build revs and get on song. Then they are less of a bike and more like every fairground ride you have every ridden combined into a few seconds of madness. Then you let go of the throttle and do it all over again just because it is addictive. 

I loved riding a turbo bike, but I want more than turbo induced giggles. I want it to be something I can control and not just ignite and hang on (as fun as that can be)! YMMV! 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Solcambs said:

Build one ... but go into it eyes open. It will cost.

Also be wary that it's what you want from a bike. The truth probably is (based on my own experience of riding but not owning one) that a turbo bike is often typically slower for the most part than the bike that started the process, most of the time. Low compression makes a bike flat and unresponsive. That is until they build revs and get on song. Then they are less of a bike and more like every fairground ride you have every ridden combined into a few seconds of madness. Then you let go of the throttle and do it all over again just because it is addictive. 

I loved riding a turbo bike, but I want more than turbo induced giggles. I want it to be something I can control and not just ignite and hang on (as fun as that can be)! YMMV! 

What a load of rubbish.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, MeanBean49 said:

What a load of rubbish.

I stick to my guns ... - I have ridden a turbo'd bandit and a turbo'd R1 - neither of which had any guts off turbo, and both were fearsome on turbo. The end result of the bandit on the road was a bike that I couldn't get anything from most of the time I wanted it. In a straight line it was twist, wait ... whoooosh! However spirited riding was impossible as most corners confounded the bike as you enter off boost and daren't hit the boost cranked over. The R1 on the track was a giggle, 210hp of wheel/sky moments and the wastegate noise was hilarious - wind on, hit boost, wheelie, close throttle and chirrup goes the wastegate - wind on chirrup, wind on chirrup :o) However, trying to get cranked over in any corner was an accident waiting to happen. Take Chris Curve at Cadwell on most bikes and you can attack it, driving through the corner. On the R1 you are very conscious that if the turbo hits mid corner you'll be in trouble as it will take what ever throttle you have dialled in and if that is too much you'll be into the scenery. The corner is asking you to wind on, but on the lower compression engine initially winding on does nothing so you wind the throttle more, and then the turbo starts to come on and you have to release some throttle. So you end up trying to go into the corner in a gear that puts you onto boost, and then the turbo starts to run away from you on the slightest increase of throttle. Very unnerving when you are trying to drive through the corner but balance things. I reckon what I am saying is that they aren't easy to ride fast round a track. Too much effort thinking about machine control and balancing inputs. Normally aspirated engines can be taken closer to the handling edge, and I prefer that challenge when riding a bike ... that's mostly why I ride bikes in fact, and the turbo just got in the way of that enjoyment for me   ... I want to lay a bike over feel what the bike is doing close to the edge of grip. Anyhow as I said  .. YMMV ... I'd love one for giggles - but for me anyhow I like powerful normally aspirated engines.  

Hmmm - Bollux! I built my first one over 20 years ago and EVERY ride was an experience - loud, raw and involving. They aren't supposed to be 'normal or ordinary'. Mine was a suck through / S&S carb'd toy that would trundle around 'normally' at legal speeds on the edge of boost, then whoosh it would pull yer arms out. The low comp comment demonstrates the divide between old tech and new tech with what is required/expected. Low comp + lots of boost = light switch power with big top end........ Decent comp + moderate boost = driveable power and ok top end ........ Decent comp + built proper with clever ECU + high boost = driveable and monster power!

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Gixer1460 said:

Hmmm - Bollux! I built my first one over 20 years ago and EVERY ride was an experience - loud, raw and involving. They aren't supposed to be 'normal or ordinary'. Mine was a suck through / S&S carb'd toy that would trundle around 'normally' at legal speeds on the edge of boost, then whoosh it would pull yer arms out. The low comp comment demonstrates the divide between old tech and new tech with what is required/expected. Low comp + lots of boost = light switch power with big top end........ Decent comp + moderate boost = driveable power and ok top end ........ Decent comp + built proper with clever ECU + high boost = driveable and monster power!

I obviously rode old tech turbo then :o)

3 hours ago, Solcambs said:

I stick to my guns ... - I have ridden a turbo'd bandit and a turbo'd R1 - neither of which had any guts off turbo, and both were fearsome on turbo. The end result of the bandit on the road was a bike that I couldn't get anything from most of the time I wanted it. In a straight line it was twist, wait ... whoooosh! However spirited riding was impossible as most corners confounded the bike as you enter off boost and daren't hit the boost cranked over. The R1 on the track was a giggle, 210hp of wheel/sky moments and the wastegate noise was hilarious - wind on, hit boost, wheelie, close throttle and chirrup goes the wastegate - wind on chirrup, wind on chirrup :o) However, trying to get cranked over in any corner was an accident waiting to happen. Take Chris Curve at Cadwell on most bikes and you can attack it, driving through the corner. On the R1 you are very conscious that if the turbo hits mid corner you'll be in trouble as it will take what ever throttle you have dialled in and if that is too much you'll be into the scenery. The corner is asking you to wind on, but on the lower compression engine initially winding on does nothing so you wind the throttle more, and then the turbo starts to come on and you have to release some throttle. So you end up trying to go into the corner in a gear that puts you onto boost, and then the turbo starts to run away from you on the slightest increase of throttle. Very unnerving when you are trying to drive through the corner but balance things. I reckon what I am saying is that they aren't easy to ride fast round a track. Too much effort thinking about machine control and balancing inputs. Normally aspirated engines can be taken closer to the handling edge, and I prefer that challenge when riding a bike ... that's mostly why I ride bikes in fact, and the turbo just got in the way of that enjoyment for me   ... I want to lay a bike over feel what the bike is doing close to the edge of grip. Anyhow as I said  .. YMMV ... I'd love one for giggles - but for me anyhow I like powerful normally aspirated engines.  

My bike is just as rideable as any N/a bike, just has way more of everything everywhere. Pulls from 3k in top with no probs at all. Works plenty well enough on race tracks with 280bhp and 200ft lbs https://youtu.be/VHkK_aO_yfA

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, MeanBean49 said:

My bike is just as rideable as any N/a bike, just has way more of everything everywhere. Pulls from 3k in top with no probs at all. Works plenty well enough on race tracks with 280bhp and 200ft lbs https://youtu.be/VHkK_aO_yfA

I don't want to get into any argument about this on a turbo forum .. jeesh!

MarkGSXR just go do it :o)

@MeanBean49  - your bike is way better than the one's I have ridden - no doubt about it ... BUT it still sounds less than eager going up Coppice and through Charlie's 1 and 2. Whether that is just because there is a turbo fitted or because you aren't opening the throttle because being on turbo would be uncomfortable, or the gearing means you can't be on turbo I can't tell. So it's pretty subjective. It does seem like you are tentative, especially through Chris and coming out of the horrible off camber Barn corner, your bike off the apex is dropped by the bike in front. Yours is definitely waiting to get on turbo. So it does actually demonstrate my point. Your bike is hugely fast, and who am I to judge your enjoyment of  it  - it's your bike, and I know it would be fun to ride. You can obviously ride BTW ... and even your own description of the video says, "trying to ride my bike with the boost turned up".

Back to my original point - fitting a turbo does limit some aspects of a bikes capability near the limit of lean, and can have a detrimental affect of driveability in some situations. I guess another way of saying it needs some respect. Bloody hugely fun and addictive I am sure :o)

Please don't read this as a negative to anything you have done for you, or your riding, or what you want from your bike ... just me saying not for me on a track as I like to ride fast and I can ride closer to the edge of handling (my kick) on a NA bike and that you have bigger cahones than me :o)

1 hour ago, Solcambs said:

I don't want to get into any argument about this on a turbo forum .. jeesh!

MarkGSXR just go do it :o)

@MeanBean49  - your bike is way better than the one's I have ridden - no doubt about it ... BUT it still sounds less than eager going up Coppice and through Charlie's 1 and 2. Whether that is just because there is a turbo fitted or because you aren't opening the throttle because being on turbo would be uncomfortable, or the gearing means you can't be on turbo I can't tell. So it's pretty subjective. It does seem like you are tentative, especially through Chris and coming out of the horrible off camber Barn corner, your bike off the apex is dropped by the bike in front. Yours is definitely waiting to get on turbo. So it does actually demonstrate my point. Your bike is hugely fast, and who am I to judge your enjoyment of  it  - it's your bike, and I know it would be fun to ride. You can obviously ride BTW ... and even your own description of the video says, "trying to ride my bike with the boost turned up".

Back to my original point - fitting a turbo does limit some aspects of a bikes capability near the limit of lean, and can have a detrimental affect of driveability in some situations. I guess another way of saying it needs some respect. Bloody hugely fun and addictive I am sure :o)

Please don't read this as a negative to anything you have done for you, or your riding, or what you want from your bike ... just me saying not for me on a track as I like to ride fast and I can ride closer to the edge of handling (my kick) on a NA bike and that you have bigger cahones than me :o)

The noise is extremely deceptive, its got that much torque and power its lower in the revs. Certainly isnt struggling anywhere just doesnt need to scream to accelerate, you can see when other bikes are around hiw much faster it is.

To be honest it was the first time i had ridden it at all this year and the first time i had turned the boost up, thats why it appears a bit tentative.

I have been round tracks since and i can  ride it as hard as my non turbo bikes now i am used to it.

Good mate of mine is an ex powerbike champion, he took it out at Snetterton and couldnt praise how easy to ride it is, and how quick, so much so hes going to do a few sessions on it this year to see what it can really do.

Sounds like your turbo experience is pretty limited to old style setups. Modern well setup blow through kits are amazing when setup well

Just now, MeanBean49 said:

The noise is extremely deceptive, its got that much torque and power its lower in the revs. Certainly isnt struggling anywhere just doesnt need to scream to accelerate, you can see when other bikes are around hiw much faster it is.

To be honest it was the first time i had ridden it at all this year and the first time i had turned the boost up, thats why it appears a bit tentative.

I have been round tracks since and i can  ride it as hard as my non turbo bikes now i am used to it.

Good mate of mine is an ex powerbike champion, he took it out at Snetterton and couldnt praise how easy to ride it is, and how quick, so much so hes going to do a few sessions on it this year to see what it can really do.

Sounds like your turbo experience is pretty limited to old style setups. Modern well setup blow through kits are amazing when setup well

I need to ride one I think :o)