85 GSXR rebuild

darkness

Hey everyone, 

Now I've been doing a lot of searching for info just trying to confirm things. And trying to decipher all the different opinions I'm finding. 

I'm currently rebuilding an 85 GSXR750. Now it's not something I'm putting back to stock as there's too many original parts missing. I'm going to turn it into a bit of a custom muscle racer style thing. It's been completely dismantled and I'm starting to look for parts to replace worn out bits. 

The first thing to go are the 18" wheels. I want to move to a 17" set. I know that means changing the front end. But how late model can I go with the front end without much modification? And then what swingarms options would I have for the rear? (Since is the original short swingarm version). 

I've seen a 92 gsxr1100 being parted out. Are those bits useful to me?

With regards to front end, you can fit anything you want. So long as you have the stem from the original yokes you can get a machine shop to press them into whatever front end you fancy.

It may be easier& more cost effective to have your arm extended - then you won't need to worry about linkages etc

also, I'm pretty sure you could run 17" wheels on standard front end

Edited by R1guy
  • 2 weeks later...
On 27/01/2017 at 2:19 PM, Swiss Toni said:

I  used 5.5" rear from 750WP in std. arm. Just mix and match WP/Slabbie spacers. Same with front end. WP went straight in, as will most Suzuki forks. Most 'other' makes can be made to fit, by changing bearings, and at worst, swapping stems! Nowt to worry aboot!

Great info guys, thanks really appreciate it. 

Currently the frame is out at a welder. We discovered some cracks around the front end. But that will be sorted shortly. Now to find some of these parts I'm going to need :)