Gs550 and 750 frame differences

davecara

As said above height is the problem, I have put a gsx1100f motor (1127cc) in a gs550 frame about 12 years ago, I chopped out the bottom/side frame cradle on the right hand side and made in as a bolt in part so then you can make a bit more room for the motor.

Had to use a 16t front sprocket instead of the standard 15t to get more travel around the swing arm mounts (just because I had broped the motor as low as poss to get to can cover).

I at the time I used the gsx1100f power screen running gear so did not have much a problem with chain run, but if you're putting any bigger rear wheel than a 4.5" rim you will need to do some work around the swing arm mounts.

Using a 750/850/1000 frame not as much a problem but as the 550 frames are smaller length wheel base etc they are much more fun to ride when done.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I've got this old GSX550ES.... done the front end and wheels and have an old 600F teapot motor laying about after I swapped it out of the 600F frame for a 750 Slingshot, I know there's not a massive hike in power over the 64 BHP the air cooled motor makes compared to the 80 odd BHP the 600F lump allegedly makes but if it works then logically with a little more fiddling a 750 or even a B12 motor could be made to fit?? Never seen a 550 with an oil boiler in it before. I've owned the GSX750ES with a Slingshot 750J motor in it though and that went well and handled on it's Bandit running gear :-)

14330110_10209197284223205_971881549259243676_n.jpg

Photo026.jpg

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Swirl said:

Dave, I've got a 650 Kat, gs750, and multiple engines gsxr 750 powerscreen 1127, etc come over and get ye tape measure out, but a 750 is going in the Kat very soon

I'll take you up on that mate, I've got to go to Northwest Controls and see paul about my throttle cables in the next week or so, so I'll give you a shout :)

we had the unit nextdoor but one, until last year and there was a bit of a incident with the painter inbetween, ended up with a restraining order and banned off the estate, so the unit went, still got 13 months left on the restraining and banning order, before I can see our local freindly painter with no consequ:banana:ences

• Like 1