GSXR1127 Carb Spacing?

Hey everyone I need some answers quick please. I have an o/c 1127 in my bike on 36mm carbs; I'm after some 40's but need to check spacings. The 36's are 78-85-78. The 38's I have are 78-90-78 which I believe are for a w/c 1100. But a guy selling some 40's @ 78-90-78 insists these are for oil cooled! Would these fit with different inlet rubbers ? My 36's are off a 1200 Bandit with appropriate rubbers.

Oil cooled engines exhaust and intake spacings are all the same, water-cooled engines are different. Others have used w/c carbs using a combination of inlet rubbers to re-align the carbs - a search on here should reveal more, it was mentioned on here a while ago. 40mm carbs need either their own size boots, or the 38mm ones from the 750 - you can normally squeeze 2mm larger carbs into the rubbers, 36mm ones will be a step too far.

40mm carbs will really need the inlets to the ports matched to the big carbs, else the ridge will muck up air flow and they never seem to work very well.

• 8 months later...

Well I've had a set of 40mm 1100m carbs fitted to the 11K since the early 90s. I've got a set of 40mm and 38mm carbs from water cooled motors both have identical spacing and same OD. Pulled the 40mm M carbs of today and the water cooled carbs are WIDER spaced on the two outer , centre two carbs same spacing. Water cooled carbs outer two carbs are about 3mm further out. Castings for where the carbs connect are wider . Could probably sort out connection to head, but as I want to keep stock air box I need to get the spacing the same. Or give up and keep the M 40s on.