Ex. Pipe studs.

Swiss Toni

No....It will cook off slightly but still retain enough on the threads to ease removal of the nut.I use it all the time.Messy but helps especially if you are removing components regularly.

My workmate hardly uses the stuff.....then wonders why he is grinding nuts off later...doofus.

I've been using Ti allen bolts instead of studs/nuts for a few years, never a problem, just don't over-tighten - I just hate studs breaking off, they tend to be forgotten about until one gets stuck, this way I can clean the threads each time the exhaust comes off. If the threads ever weaken I'll have inserts fitted.

Here's a bit of unusual knowledge from the Endurance world.

Now I'd always use Drilled Ti bolts and then lockwire them, No need to crank them in very hard and risk damaging the threads.

The clever bit is to fit accurate spacers between the Flange and the head. This will make sure that you can't distort the flange as you fit it, slip ins' with springs or not.

The real benefit comes if you drop the bike. Any decent landing on the end can has a habit of trying to distort the flanges at the head. which are now much more stable.

The interesting thing here is that it enhances engine reliability. Small exhaust leaks at the cylinder head are not good news. If you have one or more exhaust leaks here you get weird  temperatures at the exhaust valves and over time this can lead to Valve trouble.

Probably not significant on a road engine, but critical if you are pushing the tune a bit.

and all for the price of a small stack of washers or a bit of ally thick wall tube. 

It's all in the detail.B|

• Like 1
On 7 oktober 2016 at 7:57 PM, Swiss Toni said:

And no problems with the Copperslip melting off ?

I never use copperslip paste anymore, better use the ceramic grease. Works excellent when you use stainless bolts in alu and is heat resistant up to 1000+ degrees.

• Like 1