Starter solenoid: click click click

ads54

Fecking thing!! Took the Harris Gsxr 1216 for an mot today (passed no advisories btw) but when starting before I went the starter motor was a bit wheezy and reluctant to go not like the normal fast spin it normally is. Now my bike has been sat for a while (5months) but it's been on the optimate all that time so the battery should be good. Wouldn't start at the mot station, jumped it and it fired straight away. Got home and put it back on optimate and checked an hour later and nothing, only clicking at starter solenoid. 

So me thinking it's the battery I put on another known good battery and same thing only clicking at solenoid aaaargh!! Swapped solenoid for another and again, same thing with new solenoid!! Ffs.....

Checked fuses, have 12v at battery, different solenoid... Nothing. 

Is my starter motor fucked? Help!

Check the condition of the earth lead and the  heavy duty leads to and from the solenoid/relay (although you've mounted another solenoid/relay), plus connection of the feed on the starter itself - or as you point out the starter  needs too much current (fooked). You can get all the bits to service the starter though, so even this might not be too bad.

if it was mine ,get a meter one lead on the positive of starter and the other on the engine somewhere where its clean and no paint . Ignition on and press starter button see what you have voltage . If no go check solenoid is operating by hearing it click . If solenoid is working disconnect both large wires and connect meter wires to the two terminals and set meter on ohms see what reading is hopefully zero . I would say from the above the solenoid contacts are getting worn and sometimes there is high resistance . To double check ignition on and pair of pliers across the two large terminals to short out . If solenoid is not working side stand switch ,start button problem

Did that CC, no joy. 

Took a direct feed from battery live to solenoid output, no joy.

direct feed from battery live to starter motor connection, no joy. 

I'll try new HD wires and also check for good earth to crankcases but if not I've got a spare starter so will change that. 

It could be a poor earth. Do you have an earth cable from the engine to the frame? If not, or if it is corroded, this could be the problem. I had similar starting problems on my Harris after frame powder coating. Running an additional lead from the starter motor mounting bolt to the frame cured the fault.

Yes, buy a battery terminal with a 6mm end and some cable and another end that has the correct size hole for where you want it to earth. I used the engine mount, which is 10mm. Obviously remove the frame paint where the earth is going to be connected. Making battery leads is fairly easy using solder and a blow torch when holding the cable end being worked on vertically in a vice. You have to be careful not to get it too hot though or the plastic sheathing will start to melt.

I think a stock GSXR has a cable earthing the cases to the frame which basically does the same thing but corrosion/repainting can cause earth problems. If you have an earth between the cases and -ve of the battery then it should be ok but maybe worth a try running a cable directly from the starter motor to earth.

• Like 1

Hi Ads:

I had a similar issue with a Wiseco GSX 1178.

The starter got slower & slower until it just wouldn't start. I got it a new battery, solenoid, cleaned everything. Nothing.

In the end I stripped the starter & it turned out the carbon brushes had worn out. It was 20 years old.

I replaced them with Suzuki originals {I remember thinking they were quite reasonable at the time, about 20 quid or so, not too bad even back then}.

I cleaned out the commutator thing, greened the bearing & put it back together.

It worked a treat. It was like a new one.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Nelson said:

Hi Ads:

The starter got slower & slower until it just wouldn't start. I got it a new battery, solenoid, cleaned everything. Nothing.

In the end I stripped the starter & it turned out the carbon brushes had worn out. It was 20 years old.

I replaced them with Suzuki originals {I remember thinking they were quite reasonable at the time, about 20 quid or so, not too bad even back then}.

I agree - if all else fails open up the starter motor. If the brushes are not worn out a good clean with brake cleaner could get it going again. This worked with my starter motor many moons ago. I thought it was knackered brushes but cleaning out all of the dust was all it needed.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Nelson said:

Hi Ads:

This is exactly what's happened. Could it be due to the high comp big bore requiring more from the starter to spin it up and over time it's just given up? That's what my money is on.