36MM Plastic Carb Slide

wesmcc

Hi Thanks for the Add folks

I need some help.I have 36mm Flatslide Mikuni RS carbs and one of the slides has cracked and

I am finding it impossible to get a replacement .Mikuni don't even know if they have them due to a change in their part numbering system and the agents that i

have spoken to seem less than interested any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers Wes

12 hours ago, Blubber said:

Calling @arnout,  He has repaired at least one of his slides in the past.

c0138.gif ..you have a good memory!

Yes, I faced the same problem with cracked plastic slides (later RS carbs were upgraded with aluminium slides) and found it impossible to locate replacements at the time.. So I decided to try and repair the slides in my very worn set of RS36 carbs by removing the whole side of the slide that had snapped  and sticking a stainless steel plate in its place..

EFE-broken-slide-01.jpg

rs-steel-slide.jpg

2 screws and epoxy glue keep the new bit attached.. Did all 4 slides as a precaution (only 2 were snapped)..It is a bit of a botch job, but to my own surprise it has held up over the years and still use these carbs on my Kat..

The plate I used was slightly thicker than the original part to account for the worn out slide grooves inside the carb body..

Nowadays the availability of the uprated aluminium slides has improved a lot though, so today I'd probably just buy these.. (quite pricey though..)

http://www.allensperformance.co.uk/shop/ have these for sale in their webshop (just 1 left?) -> throttle valve RS36 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, arnout said:

c0138.gif ..you have a good memory!

Yes, I faced the same problem with cracked plastic slides (later RS carbs were upgraded with aluminium slides) and found it impossible to locate replacements at the time..

Nowadays the availability of the uprated aluminium slides has improved a lot though, so today I'd probably just buy these.. (quite pricey though..) http://www.allensperformance.co.uk/shop/ have these for sale in their webshop (just 1 left?) -> throttle valve RS36 

My brain was screaming 'but they are aluminium' when I saw this - I thought you confused them with CV plastic slides! LOL The way they rattle around, its not surprising they crack!

Hi say what now!? 1460

I can thank you enough,after several previous conversations with Allens telling me it was impossible to ge tone of these.I called again today to be told the same but when I gave him the part number they said "Oh we do have one the las tin captivity " lol

Cheers Wes

14 hours ago, Blubber said:

I would be interested if there is a weight difference between a plastic and a aluminium slide.

Why? They're not CV carbs where a heavier slide would need more air vacuum to lift it..

I'd be interested if there's any difference in dimensions between the aluminium and plastic slides.. (Which would be a real bummer if so..)

On ‎7‎-‎9‎-‎2016 at 5:51 PM, Sheep said:

Out of curiosity what thickness metal did you use or is it a case of each bike could vary??

Stainless steel 1,95mm (probably once bought as 2,00mm), but my set of RS's is very worn and also the grooves don't wear evenly over the full length.. So the slack varies at different throttle positions..

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

These slide are available on Eblag, but quite pricey (49,95 dollar :(

You could also try FrankMX, which is a company that specializes in racing carbs. He is near to me and I've been there a few times (I have a TM36 on another bike). He seems to know his bussiness and has some parts that aren't supplied by Mikuni (the gasket between the body and the inlet of a TM36 for instance).

• 1 year later...