GS1000 Turbo, attempt no 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Have been busy again.. about time too ;)

Half of the crank is done now, damn it takes a lot of time, it's not real hard, just time consuming.

Now I need the straight cut gears, before I can finish the crank, but other things coming up, so I'm afraid it's going to take a while again.

But there's a little bit of progress.

Crank.JPG

• Like 3
  • 4 months later...

Finally, I've finished the crankshaft... 

All to 0.04mm acurate, new main bearings, new big ends (the last 4 in the world I think ;) ) 493 rods, side clearence on the rods a wee bit more as the minimum clearence according to the manual, straight cut gear.

Krukas.jpg

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Duckndive said:

I was told they can only be Statically Balanced.........

My understanding was that all the parts were weight matched before assembly O.o

The V&H Pro Stock rental motors only do 4 passes before a tear down.............:o 

It was only a friendly question! The OP has pressed up a nice crank to exacting tolerances - its straight and all the parts may be weight matched - but what about the weld dotted around the pins? Only takes a few grams to end up with a vibe monster. V&H dynamically balance their cranks - https://products.vanceandhines.com/store/suzuki/33-9113/

3 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

but what about the weld dotted around the pins? Only takes a few grams to end up with a vibe monster. V&H dynamically balance their cranks - https://products.vanceandhines.com/store/suzuki/33-9113/

1460 On most prepped Drag cranks i've seen Weld on pins is exact opposite on pins and of equal length, so more of worked out maths to be same weight on opposite throws to even out or eliminate vibration.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Have done a bit again.

Made a spacer for under the cylinders, put the turbine housing from the turbo in the right position, and modified the up pipe so it fits on the new turbo.

I orderer pistons at JE, they're engineerd and paid for, so hopefully they're here in a month.

Also ordered the last bearing for the crank, and a couple of seals, so the engine can be put together shortly.

up pipe.jpg

• Like 7
  • 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Why would they be any stronger? And if they were - why aren't the drag racers all over them? Their preference being 493 'Katana' rods for the past near 40 years!

They are shorter and fit the stroke of the 1000. Also maybe people don’t look further than the end of their nose. 

• Like 1