Swirl's Harris

Swirl

It all depends on if the Q plate v5 has a declared year of manufacture on it, if it does then legally it must comply to the standards applicable to that year, if it doesnt its treated as pre 71 regs.

However for getting an MOT its treated 1975 emossions, and 1971 for everything else iirc. 

So it will go through an MOT but isnt legal

Had it with my old Harris because it had a declared year i couldnt run black and silver plate and had to have indicators.

Edited by MeanBean49
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, 370steve said:

The problem there would to be the preceding sentence but one, which sets a caveat that enables mot testers to ignore any 1971 get-out clause if they so wish. If there's a stated first use date after April 86 on the v5, then a Q reg still needs 2 brake light switches, indicators etc., unless the first use date can be proved as incorrect, which would be pretty much impossible.

20 minutes ago, Dezza said:

The problem there would to be the preceding sentence but one, which sets a caveat that enables mot testers to ignore any 1971 get-out clause if they so wish. If there's a stated first use date after April 86 on the v5, then a Q reg still needs 2 brake light switches, indicators etc., unless the first use date can be proved as incorrect, which would be pretty much impossible.

thats not the way i read it!! but thats half the problem with MOT, too many variables in how to interpret them!!

Edited by 370steve
  • Like 1

The whole reason for a Q plate was because the date of manufacture is unknown.

The reads quite clearly me that a q plate should be tested as a '71 bike.

However if indicators are fitted, as in this case, they must conform when presented for a test.

I believe indicators must be a minimum of 350mm a part for an m.o.t, unless the bike is as originally homologated.

All fixable with sticky tape, or biscuits when the bike is presented for a test though 

:)

Edited by dupersunc
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, 370steve said:

Spacing is not a concern on MOT, only on C&U or MSVA :)

It was added a couple of years ago.

Mandatory direction indicators must have minimum separation distances between the illuminating surfaces of:

• solo motorcycles - 240mm at the front and 180mm at the rear
Edited by dupersunc
  • Like 1
16 minutes ago, dupersunc said:

It was added a couple of years ago.

Mandatory direction indicators must have minimum separation distances between the illuminating surfaces of:

• solo motorcycles - 240mm at the front and 180mm at the rear

There is no requirement to measure the separation distance and they should only be rejected if the separation distance is obviously incorrect. 

Edited by 370steve
On 11/6/2020 at 9:55 PM, MeanBean49 said:

It all depends on if the Q plate v5 has a declared year of manufacture on it, if it does then legally it must comply to the standards applicable to that year, if it doesnt its treated as pre 71 regs.

However for getting an MOT its treated 1975 emossions, and 1971 for everything else iirc. 

So it will go through an MOT but isnt legal

Had it with my old Harris because it had a declared year i couldnt run black and silver plate and had to have indicators.

Just to add to the debate a bit. I have a Mag 4 on a Q plate that shows Date of 1st registration as May 1993 on the V5. I don't run any indicators and have never been pulled on this at MOT time for not having indicators. Seems like its at the testers discretion, or how well you know/get on with the tester , OR whether the tester is fully aware of the intricacies of rules ? Minefield !! 

I was told that if indicators are fitted then they have to be working but this was many years ago and may not be valid advice now.

• Like 1