Loads of stuff out there on the known TLS issues. The one I bought, did up and sold a little while ago had a broken fork lower, the common water pump leak, rough running, all pretty easily sorted.

Once all done and set the suspension, chain and fi up properly with a few upgrades along the way it was fantastic. I only sold it due to an old injury playing up when I rode it any distance (my fault not the bike) and that I got made the right offer at the right time for it. Great bikes, had two of them as well as a TLR that I never got on with as well.

15 hours ago, TLRS said:

Did you have a '97s amongst these?

Yes. A 97,  & 2 x 99's.

The 97 had a proper rear shock conversion, cans, power commander, modded forks,  better brakes. It seemed like fix 1 thing & it just highlighted something else. My wife actually owned one of the 1999 bikes, bought new & traded it after a year for a new srad 750. I don't think I am  suited to twins. 

Sonny has had a couple,I am re-building his 97 at the moment.Firstly check it goes through the gears,as with nearly all Suzuki's,they don't like ham fisted wheelies.And usually end up with no second gear.

This 98 broke it's suspension mount on the frame. Nobody noticed until Rob Bean(Sonny swapped it with him for a slabby 1100)stripped it and found the crack.Also this was a German Import,so was restricted to 100bhp through the ecu(The French Imports are also 100bhp,but are mechanical restrictions,usually the heads).
Picture%20015_zpstswjbvgz.jpg

And this one,where do I start,Sonny brought it and rode it for two weeks,then it locked up solid on him.I originally thought it was an engine strip and re-build,but it turned out that the starter motor was lose and had come adrift.I didn't find this out until after I had removed the cams,luckily I did because one of the camshaft C-rings was missing and the cam was able to move in the head.Luckily no major damage was done and I got it turning over again.This isn't really the bikes fault,it just hadn't been looked after.
Abit of advice,if it is covered in anodised alloy engine bolts,walk away ;) 
The saving grace of this one,is that it has the suspension sorted with the R1 shock.It is really growing on me now and I'm trying to get him to swap it for my 1100k . I really do like big twins(I have had a couple of the underrated z750's and an xs650 with a halco 840cc)and from riding/borrowing my brothers ones,I would highly recommend them.I would llike to try a TLR(whisper it,and an SP1 or 2,I can dream)next :)
13427974_10153864933844125_2668830803408
DSC_0195_zpsvyvkrita.jpg

http://www.Eblag.com/itm/Suzuki-TL1000-S-Rear-conversion-rotary-damper-like-Ohlins-R1-shock/142035107230

Edited by Del
1 hour ago, Captain Chaos said:

having riden most twins (TLS/R, VTR SP1 and SP2, RSV1000R, 996SP, probably forgot a few) the 996 was the most entertaining, closely followed by the TLS. All the others were not really exciting.

Like you I have also tried them too. For me its the SP1 as it revs like a 4 cylinder. I have one with suspension sorted,  full system etc but as Del says shhhhh as its not OSS

Edited by coombehouse
  • Like 1

i have had a twin before and loved it (especially the sound) but it made 20hp less than the TL and was a H*nda so shall not be named :P

so if the 97 was just a case of a different ECU. if i bought a later model could I not simply swap to an earlier ECU or better yet a power commander to make it more 97ish

Ref the recalls mentioned, the steering damper will be obvious though it is pants & hopefully already replaced by a real damper. The modified tank is a biggie & mine pissed fuel all over the rear exhaust pipe constantly til I got the new tank. It is a safety issue & Suzuki were very good as always unlike Gurls blouse who will talk a good job but do nothing for you. There were similar issues with the SP1 tank but you would have no chance getting one now unless you were in the US. Bastards!!!!!!

Oh & yes you can either get an early ecu or get someone good to do a proper remap  or power commander.

Nick

• Like 1

Had my 97s for 6-7 years now, it's one of the most hilarious bikes I've ever owned and the only bike to make me giggle like a child in my helmet. When I bought it ,riding it home it was horrible but that was due to the fact it was on the cold map as it hadn't had the thermostat mod at that point . Once I did the thermostat mod it ran like a different bike , it smooth and economical for a TL . Since then it's had a full akrapovic system, jacked and gapped subframe , heli bars which make it all day comfy, maxton forks , maxton Spring and Hagon damper ,pc3 custom map, modded airbox etc . I keep thinking of selling it but everytime I hear it running I can't bring myself to .

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4
On 1 juli 2016 at 3:11 PM, caferacerdan said:

so if the 97 was just a case of a different ECU. if i bought a later model could I not simply swap to an earlier ECU or better yet a power commander to make it more 97ish

The '97 has round port intakes and a non progressive throttle (where cables attach, round = '97) which adds to a bit of madness. But early ecu's are a good upgrade. But like coom says, the first ecu has to be offset with a pcom.

• Like 1

reet the bandit sold today so got some money to play around with! time to find me a TL. my mate is selling one but its been off the road for a year or two but does have cbr600 rear shock conversion and gsxr k5 front end so aslong as the engine runs fine (no MOT so cant test ride much) what else should i be wary of? completely new to TLs!

also dont know what year it is but will buy a 97 ECU to go with...what mileage do TLs live to usually?

Edited by caferacerdan

What year is the bike ? The 97 Ecu isn't all that...on a 97 the thermostat mod is one of the best things you can do as without it the bike is constantly on choke and as such is lumpy and thirsty. If it is a later bike or runs at 81 degrees you fine , if it's at 61 degrees it would benefit from the thermostat being sorted,

If you can trust it you'll love it 

had a 97 S last year and it was fun, bit of a handful if you were going hardcore through the twisties with it at times.

loads of torque but after a while I got the feeling it was lazy and soon wanted more from it

id defiantly have another though

image.jpeg

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, Foz said:

What year is the bike ? The 97 Ecu isn't all that...on a 97 the thermostat mod is one of the best things you can do as without it the bike is constantly on choke and as such is lumpy and thirsty. If it is a later bike or runs at 81 degrees you fine , if it's at 61 degrees it would benefit from the thermostat being sorted,

dont know on exact details yet, just waiting on some now!

22 hours ago, Dangerous said:

If you can trust it you'll love it 

had a 97 S last year and it was fun, bit of a handful if you were going hardcore through the twisties with it at times.

loads of torque but after a while I got the feeling it was lazy and soon wanted more from it

id defiantly have another though

image.jpeg

Get one that's sorted for fuelling and handling and yes it'll feel lazy at times then you'll notice your travelling well into 3 figures

• Like 3