Lockup clutch but still slipping, tips & tricks?

After my new, bigger turbo got fitted the clutch has started slipping again. Actually a good thing as this proves that I've loads more power now. 

But this happens despite the MTC lockup with considerable weight on and new clutchsprings. The plates are old but fibres are within spec and steels are straight and the original non-burnt colour.

Do you have any tips or tricks to solve this? Options I'm thinking about are obvious:

-New plates will do the trick? I'm ready to invest but need to make sure this is it

-More weight on the arms, but the bolts are already stacked up with nuts?

-Spacers fitted to preload the springs? 

-Extra steel plate, but then the lockup itself needs to be spaced outwards?

Hope you can help me tame this new-found power!

Add more spring pressure (diaphram or coil?) with spacers . . . standard, the lockup reduces the initial pressure so that drag racers get slip off the line. Use heavy duty Barnett springs, Use new OE clutch frictions. Use only good quality motorcycle oils . . . avoid car oils with friction modifiers.

• Like 1

Swap the odd size 1st plate for a standard size one and throw the silly anti judder washer spacer thing in the bin. Stopped mine slipping. Never had any problems with good standard halfords semi synth. Dont bother with fancy oil. Too many anti friction adatives that make things slippier

• Like 1

Thanks very much for your thoughts and replies guys!

The main theme I read here, and that people with high-power-bike experience keep mentioning is: Bad choice in oil. Some particularly mention Castrol Power RS as one of the oils that sooner or later caused clutch slip. Others never had problems with this oil. I went to a buddy that runs a bike-service shop close by, and he said having had the same issue with some big-twins (lots of torque). They lost all their clutch problems simply by changing the oil by a mineral type oil- or different brand semi-synthetic oil. I bought some semi-synthetic oil off him that he uses as The Problemsolver in these big-twin cases but also as-stndard in some 4-stroke race machines that he services. As it was a lot cheaper than a new clutch and I needed fresh oil & filter anyway this is a good time just to try and see what happens.

In the meantime I've found a leaking oilcooler hose so had some new ones made at the local hydraulics shop. With the oilchange I will swap the hoses as well, so I can drain the cooler also to get rid of the old oil as much as possible

I will report back to you with the results!

PS: @Viz, FBM told me he same about the oil

Edited by bruteforce
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, Screwriverracing said:

Could try spraying the old plates with carb cleaner to get as much of the old oil out as possible, then soak in the new oil before installing.

Cheers SRR

Yeap carb or brake cleaner works ..then dry and leave in mineral oil overnight .:tu

I have only ever used cheapest Mineral oil I can find......never had any issues .....

• Like 1

There's MOTUL semi-synth in it now, went on a 30 mile trip to @Rene EFE 's place to see if all three bikes fitted onto his trailer (they did). I still have some slip on boost but it certainly is a lot less. I will see if the trip to Cadwell will "rinse" the plates enough not to replace them.

Edited by bruteforce
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...