New project - Spondon GSXR 1100

Dezza

Amazingly and quite by chance, when I took my now finished Harris to get its MOT on Monday, the mechanic/co-owner of the shop asked me if I was interested in buying a Spondon GSXR1100. Apparently, it was his mates and had been left in the back of the store for the past 8 years, and he wanted it gone from the shop and thought I would be able to 'do something with it.' He agreed to sell it to me for a very low price so now I have ended up with it. It's a fairly unusual beam frame design that has stil got all the decent stuff supplied with the frame kit intact and unmolested.

IMGP0416.JPGIMGP0412.JPGIMGP0413.JPGIMGP0414.JPGIMGP0415.JPGIMGP0417.thumb.JPG.42e3f6d2b1132c3cbf323IMGP0417.thumb.JPG.42e3f6d2b1132c3cbf323IMGP0417.thumb.JPG.42e3f6d2b1132c3cbf323

IMGP0417.JPG

• Like 7

Here is another one of these frames on the Spondon owners' club website. The unusual middle frame spar is clearly visible in the picture with no bodywork.

I actually saw this bike at Bruntingthorpe in 1989, whilst attending the now infamous Performance Bikes Trick Frames Frenzy. This was the only machine to have a faster top speed than a GSXR1100K, the newest GSXR that had just been released and one of which was also there. The noise of about 40 bikes, most of which were big fours with loud pipes, blasting about all day seemed to annoy the bloke from the local residents' association who came down personally for a public row. Afterwards magazine testers were banned from the place for several years.

http://www.spondonownersclub.co.uk/erics_gsxr.html

• Like 1

A simple check of the frame number will end any debate.

Either way, it looks like all the important bits are there and unmolested. It should make a nice bike  with a little more attention to detail that the present form.

Well done and good luck with your purchase

and you're a git for getting a cheap special. Go on, twist the knife and tell us how much. :D 

I have been pulling bits off of it on and off all afternoon as it's been pissing down on and off all day but I cannot find a frame number. It wil be going to GIA eventually when I get some wheels, forks and brakes for it, and work out what I will be doing seat, battery and oil cooler-wise so maybe Gav there can enlighten me on this. I know it's pretty early for beam alloy and I know personally of only 2 others in existence and they are/were both race replicas. It just doesn't look right with flat bars so it will be my take on a Mission Improbable replica. I won't be putting how much it cost on a public forum in case I have to flog it as a frame kit or rolling chassis but it cost a lot less than what just a frame kit cost in 1989.

1 hour ago, bluedog59 said:

Fair enough about not revealing the price but you're still a jammy git. :D

Let us know when you ship it off to Gav, I may drop by for a shufty.

Do you live near Nottingham? GIA is only about 8 miles from me - I am just south of Nottingham

• Like 1