GSXR Slingshot cooking it's CDI

Soooo one of those annoying no clue questions guys sorry. 
90 gsxr 1100 slingshot which I commute eighty miles a day on. Without warning develops a misfire then cuts out. Half an hour later fired into life. Completes journey home. Following day the same. So suspect coils but funds don't allow for Dyna, go for R6 stick coils with new denso connectors. Bike revs clean put it back together and test ride, which starts well and ends with a misfire and engine cut out. CDI igniter box scorched and smelling awful. Check wiring order another CDI off fleabay. Plug in test ride and exactly the same again. Order CDI off flea bay and find bike charging at over 15 volts so get alternator too. Plug it all in check voltage and spot on, engine runs great put back together. Same again. I could have bought Dyna twice by now. New CDI plugged in engine sounds and revs awesome with stick coils. CDI heats up after five minutes. Charge voltage fine .... Any ideas greatly appreciated, be gentle I'm not overly technical as you can tell. 
Cheers. 

lesson number 1, before reaching for the laptop, reach for the multimeter. first thing to check on any bike when you have any problem thats remotely electrically related, check the charging voltage.  if a bulb blows, you get a misfire, anything electrical or electronic fails or behaves funny, check your voltage. sounds like your duff alternator  has cooked something, poss ignition pickups, poss one or more of your new coils.

• Like 2

it might be worth going back to the original coils if only to simplify things, if youre changing stuff then its best to only do one thing at a time, youve got a misfire and a new cdi, new alternator and 4 new coils, so there are a lot of variables.

• Like 1

I would start at 15volt alternator, which you have changed allready the voltage regulator inside has problem am sure, check that plug and all the wires from it to battery with a multi meter.  And earths as said earlier on crank case and battery, clean em up shinney and a bit of where it bolts too. Be methodical an do each plug wire from alternator .

• Like 1

Its all simpler than that! The stock CDI is looking for coil resistances of about 3 ohms.......stick coils are usually sub 1ohm and you've possibly wired them parallel so they are trying to draw approx 24A instead of the 4A as stock - no wonder they are getting toasted / ignition amps getting fried!

• Like 4
  • 3 years later...

Hi guys. Please help me out. My gsxr1100 slingshot k is giving me trouble. I’ve got fuel and fire on all four cylinders but bike only runs on 1 and 2.

Ive taken out the carbs, stripped them down... no problems. Checked the valve clearance... no problem. Compression test... no problem. Serviced the bike... new plugs (tested them as well). Take. Out the CDI unit... seems fine. Unplugged all connectors and cleaned them out. Checked fuses... no problem. 
Don’t know what to do or check next... it’s confusing me. If I run the bike for a few minutes it kinda gets hotter on 3 and 4 but can still hold my hand on them... probably the other two dispensing heat. 

Please help me out. 
regards

Ben