Straight cut gears

Gents,

Not sure if I ask my question here or in Forced induction..

I've built a turbocharger on my GS1000, and what I was afraid of happened, engine destroyed, conrod snapped.

Now I'm going to put stronger rods in, but I'm still not sure about the clutch, I had a lock up on it, I didn't had any problems with it.

So, how much HP and/or Nm can a stock GSX1100 clutch handle?

Thanks.

Edited by Reinhoud

So, is this GSX1100 or GS1000 clutch and primary gears?

On GSX1100 the stock helical primary gears are ok for maybe 200hp in street use (no hard launches with sticky tire). Probably it won't explode immediately even with higher power but more torque you have more side loading there will be for the clutch and crank. So it depends on power, use, budget and so on... But for over 200hp I would seriously consider straight cut gears if budget isn't too limited.  

8 hours ago, Reinhoud said:

Thanks, Straight cut gears are sold for 425 USD, so probably something to spend some $$$ on.

A cheaper way to get straight cut gears is using stock GS750 primary gears which are straight cut.. Only down side is the different ratio (99/46) which you'd need to compensate for somewhere else.. :| Oh.. And the larger driven gear may need some extra clearance machining in the cases in a few spots they say..

As I happens I don't have a set of GS750 gears I didn't take off an old crank a while back, and haven't had them on the shelf for years either not to use myself or not to sell if someone doesn't want them.. ;)

• Like 3

I've read that somewhere too, but are they just as strong as aftermarket ones?

I also have a smaller rear wheel, I've got a rear fork off a Bandit 1200 in it, so a smaller rear sprocket is not an option, I also made a hydraulic clutch on it, so a bigger front sprocket is also a bit of an issue..

If I look on the internet, you find billet clutch baskets on the stock gear, straight cut gears on almost stock engines, it's all over the show!

But if I spend some money, then all the weak links aren't as weak anymore.

On 03/06/2016 at 6:45 PM, arnout said:

As I happens I don't have a set of GS750 gears I didn't take off an old crank a while back, and haven't had them on the shelf for years either not to use myself or not to sell if someone doesn't want them.. ;)

As it happens I dont want a set for a bike I'm not building , that wont be a nostalgia pro stock bike......so if they are not spare , maybe you couldnt lat me know ? (sorry to be so negative......but since I'm not collecting parts for this bike I'm not building , they may or may not be what I'm not looking for)

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...