493 Katana rods

Gents,

Hi, I'm not sure if I'm new here, I thought to have signed up a long time ago...

Does anyone know how strong the 493 Katana rods are in comparison with say Carrillo rods?

I saw on the www that the 493 Katana rods are used in dragracing..

Some say that GS1000 cranks can handle 200hp when welded, I know from experience they can't !

I'm after new con rods, but Carrillo's are more as twice as expensive as 493 rods.

How much power/torque can 493 rods Handle?

(I know GSX rods are 1mm wider and longer, the local reconditioning company can grind them down to 20mm)

Thanks

Turbo.JPG

• Like 2

Hi,

That's a nice looking GS!

As far as I know the 493 rods should be really strong. I know that they are used on even funny bikes and other extreme engines producing 400-600hp. Some people claim they are stronger than any aftermarket rods.

Does Carillo rods for roller bearing cranks? I thought they have only two piece rods for plain bearing cranks...

Edited by Arttu
  • Like 1

I can only speak about 3 extreme GSX applications - Kev Charman's Nitrous CB and FB's, The Jones & Friend FB and Big CC's 1540 Nitrous EFE - all used Suzuki 493 rods and all were making up to 400hp without failure. Forced induction makes the power but is generally easier on rods unless you over rev them. PSB's will use 493's but due to the revs, they'll be swopping cranks every couple of meetings (or passes in the USA!)

• Like 1

To a degree - Yes. The cases aren't physically weak but the bolting method and layout is. With BIG power the crankshaft and gearbox shafts can move about and they try to 'climb' over each other causing the cases to jack apart. No one has really solved it using std. cases - HD studs and nuts help, oversided if your into major engineering. That's why the Pro1 billet cases were developed and promptly banned by NHRA et al - bit daft as stronger cases could reduce the cost of racing!