Slabbie 7/11 thunderbike racer

• 7 months later...

So after 31 years and unknown mileage, the motor finally cried enough whilst a 9000rpm on the run up to the bomb hole at Snetterton yesterday. Sounds like a big end. :(

Brakes were shocking yesterday, despite a rebuilt Brembo Mc.

Sourced some adaptors to fit a pair or brembo calipers I have. So brakes sorted.

Motor wise I need a good crank, and a set of busa con rods to go with the 1216 kit, big valve head and yoshi cams that I have.

2 hours ago, yann7/11r said:

So...engine is dead !:|
Happy new one ! (y) (Trying to stay positive...)9_9
I 'll follow your engine build with interest,  Duncan. (1216/busarod...etc)
Something new on mk2 bike with this wonderfull SERT fairing ?;)

The mk2 bike and fairing was sold unfinished to pay bills. :(

it is being built into a race bike by an experienced builder hopefully it will appear soon.

I still have another set fairing.

54 minutes ago, yann7/11r said:

I was forced to do some sacrifice in my life too... 9_9 Did you sell my old fairing or did you keep them or the copy one ? 

Your old fairing was sacrificed to make a new mould.  It wasn't very well made to be honest, not a problem for me, but it meant it was destroyed once a mould was taken from it.

A few bikes have appeared with them fitted since, which is cool. It adds more variety to the oil cooled scene.(y)

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Suppose I better update this as it's this months cover star.

Not raced this year, work commitments put paid to that. Did the Classic Suzuki day at Cadwell with a few off here. Was running a treat... next time out at Snet a big end let go. Bugger.

Fitted the 1216cc ex mistral side car motor I'd refreshed a while back, got it running and sounded good on the stands.  Anyway we're all off on our annual Jerez trip next week, and bike leaves saturday, so I thought I better check everything works, and it's not going to detonate it's self to pieces or blow oil out of every orifice.

Ray Debben had a slot available on his Dyno this morning, so with trepidation I headed up there this morning and strapped on the dyno.

Warmed it up, ran it through the gears, also seemed well so, they gave it the big one.

IMG-20191121-WA0003.thumb.jpg.fa78200ec0693aa6fa2691cd4bdc1493.jpg

Bam straight out of the box.  That'll do pig. That'll do.

• Like 9
  • 2 weeks later...

On my annual Jerez trip.  The Motor sprang an oil leak first session and took a couple of attempts to find the source. Turns out I nipped the o ring on the generator, threebond fixed it but I lost most of the day.

The motor is a missile though,way, way quicker on the straights. The rider is very rusty though. some times are disappointing.

Jerez trip was a wash out in the end. :(  Lost the first morning sorting the oil leak.  Got one dry session day 2, and one dryish lap day 3. 

Motor is awesome though.  10 mph up on last year at the end of the start finish straight.  More punch every where. A great success.   :)

The new brake set-up is a vast improvement to.  

Trouble is the improvements have highlighted the crude suspension. Rear tyre is chewing up much, much more quickly, partly due to my rusty riding, but also the basic damping.  Like wise the front forks are diving too quickly causing brake instability.  Added to that the frame and swinger are now starting to show signs of fatigue, running twice the original power.

Other issue is heat, the new motor needs better cooling, so a bigger main cooler, and properly ducting air into the fairing.  A cold air feed from the front of the fairing to the carbs is also need to control temps and maintain power over longer runs.

So I'm at a crossroads with this bike.  The wheels and brakes are ear marked for my Harris F1 build, the motor is probably too much for the current chassis with out spending a lot of time and money.

I think I'm going to return it to a milder spec,  slingshot wheels,  stock 1052 motor on bst 38s, and 4pot tokico  calipers.  In this spec it was still good enough for 1.43s round cadwell.

Then it will be up for sale.  

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Dragged the old girl out for a open pit lane day at Snetterton yesterday.

First proper run for the new motor since the Jerez washout, and my first outing on track this year and only second time on a bike since I broke my shoulder. Needless to say we were rusty. Enough of the excuses though

The motor is stonking though. It's crude, it snarls, it spits. It's an animal

Can't quite keep up with the latest 1000cc bikes but it's at least a match for anything pre 2012 on Snets long straights. We get great drive out of the corners but the chassis is too crude and ties it's self in nots outof 2and gear turns.

Fun day though.

IMG-20201001-WA0019.thumb.jpg.b87b80dec9cee39ad428fa8df402867a.jpgIMG-20201001-WA0014.thumb.jpg.cd0fdbe0b4e81de5e6fcb273e09a9f76.jpg

had the legs on all but the pesky blue r1

• Like 12
1 hour ago, Blubber said:

What.. no rain or rain tires... damn that global warming ;)

Wet for the first session, the 5 glorious warm dry sessions.   :)

Got into the 55s, which turns out isn't bad.  still feel rusty and leaving loads of time on the table.

Let a friend have a go too.20201006_151922.thumb.jpg.2b1bcc9be675d7742e5b0c31a6a3cb9f.jpg

Edited by dupersunc
  • Like 8
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

20210416_084810.thumb.jpg.df06e177d842e37264ac8ec69bae770e.jpg

First outing of the year at Silverstone on friday, a mate came along to give some competition. 

Track was cold so took it easy in first session, bathed no issue keeping up with and despatching modern 1000cc bikes.

2nd session going well, passed 2015 r1 at the end of the hanger straight, thengotblack flagged on the start finish straight. Rolled off and checked for oil leaks or lose bodywork, all good, then another rider waves at the rear of my bike, so pulled off.

Look round and smoke is pouring from the breather, turns out I've been doing a red arrows. impression. It appears to have damaged a pistol or ring. No rattles or major loss of power, but clearly isn't happy. :(

• Like 3