SLABBY SWINGARM LENGTHS

20160501_224159.jpgJust whipped out my arm and it measures 61cm end to end near enough.  Could any helpful OSS tell me what the same dim is for a 750 G or H? They are apparently longer (25mm) but was the measurement end to end or centre to centre? Could really do with the info so thanks in advance guys.

20160501_224259.jpg

Edited by wassuck
Ham fists
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm answering my own question, that's what I love about OSS!

Anyway in my search for dimensions I have discovered the following using my trusty tape measure:

GSXR750 F = 550mm centre of pivot to centre of chain adjuster slot

GSXR750 G/H = 570mm centre of pivot to centre of chain adjuster slot

Of course the reason why I was so interested in finding the dimensions was because everyone wants a later 'arm to avoid the infamous shimmy in cornering. Now that Slabbies are being raced again, this makes the later and longer swing arm desirable. Unfortunately, as I didn't have the measurements I couldn't identify an earlier 'arm from a later one as well as an 1100. After research I found the above measurements, which were then backed up in the flesh when I lucked out and bought a later 'arm from fleabay. A huge difference between early Slab 1100 swing arms and 750s is in the construction of the shock linkage (cushion) mountings. On the 1100, they are a lot more substantial ('box' type) whereas the 750 is essentially welded aluminium plate. Anyway, I hope this helps and doubtless many of you already know this but there are some who might find it useful especially as parts become rare and sellers don't really know what they are flogging. The diagrams will explain what my words fall short of......I hope....

Slabby Swingarm Measurements.jpg

Spotting 750 G H arms.jpg

Brake Guides Swingarm.jpg

GSXR1100 G H J Swingarm Diagram.jpg

GSXR750 G H Swingarm Diagram.jpg

• Like 1

That's really pretty. I'll be looking at this ahem, privately for inspiration over the next few days. Actually not sure about the bracing yet, been looking around but sorting measurements has been a huge task and learning curve and that's just been on getting the right if scabby 'arm. The moment you move away from standard its a different world of conflicting advice and minefield of potential mistakes. How the hell is your swinger looking so good? Did you strip it?

• 4 years later...
On 11/27/2020 at 9:58 PM, Sandman said:

This type of bracing may look cool, but contributes almost nothing to torsional stiffness or flexural stiffness of the swingarm. It only contributes to increased weight.

Worked well enough on a 260hp turbo slabby. 20180509_181346.jpg.a8ef0cf7e786ba7cad8784e188179a91.thumb.jpg.769ee3823070d3ef4fafd69daa359ef9.jpg

Edited by clivegto
On 11/30/2020 at 1:51 PM, Ted M said:

@coombehouseI see what you mean by attaching to the pivot tube but if you look at the K1 and K2 GSXR 1000 and 750 the bracing stops short of the pivot tube. I'm not convinced that the bracing has no effect at all.

You need to have a better look at the gsxr1000 arm. It's connected to the pivot with a very stiff chunk of ally as @Sandman says

• Like 1
7 hours ago, coombehouse said:

You need to have a better look at the gsxr1000 arm. It's connected to the pivot with a very stiff chunk of ally as @Sandman says

As you can see the bracing stops short of the pivot. Agreed it is a stiff chunk of ally but it doesn’t go all the way to the pivot tube. 

A81CA391-BEF7-48C9-A1B3-604175AC4B19.jpeg

3DAE6A24-5654-42CF-9AE7-41486787C9A8.jpeg

5 hours ago, Ted M said:

As you can see the bracing stops short of the pivot. Agreed it is a stiff chunk of ally but it doesn’t go all the way to the pivot tube. 

Agreed though it's close & it's not just a flat bit of plate is it. 

From 2005 onwards the design was changed & it does extend to the pivot though it was a casting rather than a fabrication. 

The 750 srad extends to the pivot too

Edited by coombehouse
Info

The design of swing arms for K1/K2 is far from optimal. SRAD swing arm is stiffer, but much heavier. K6 is more up to date. Look at a swing arm for a KALEX chassis in MOTO2. It is a piece of art. The picture of the braced swing arm shown above for the slabside is made by an amateur. Take a course in advanced structural engineering and FE analyis and you will understand what I try to tell.