GSXR1100 turbo update

• 3 weeks later...

Loads of trouble>:(

After finally getting a new starter clutch I haven´t had a change for a proper test ride.. I got the bike started but it ran like  s**t!

I thought the fuel map must be way off now because the MAP is now working correctly. I tried using the original fuel map the bike had when I bought it, and that was it! The bike started nice, the idle was smooth, the engine feli like it had more torque at lower rpm.

Then it was time to try was there any change under boost... At low boost it felt ok, but getting around 0.7-1 bar the engine started to run badly, and suddenly 1 cylinder was gone. I rode back to the garage, and tried to look for the reason for the problem. #2 cylinder was runing a little cooler that the others so I checked the spark (ok) and the injector connector, and the other wire was a little loose. I fixed that and the bike started nice with all the cylinders.

Again a new test ride. Now the I got boost smoothly over 1bar, but then again 1 of the cylinders stopped working. Back to the garage, #2cyl. spark plug is wet.. Spark was ok, the injector is not stuck open. I still have to check if theres enough compression... But things don´t look good :( Burnt valves maybe?

J

Edited by JK1

Oh sh*t I hope it's not rings :o

Better..

IMG_9074.jpg

IMG_9082.jpg

A few of the exhaust valve retainers were coming off..

IMG_9081.jpg                                                                                                                        #2 piston has taken a few light hits:

IMG_9072.jpg

Other pistons look ok.

IMG_9077.jpg

J

@Fula28 - i'd say a bit of valve bounce coupled with enthusiastic use of boost = partially spat collet locking a red hot valve part open which then got smacked by the piston! Could have been worse - if the collet came off entirely and valve slipped into the cylinder it'd be a whole lot messier! 

• Like 2

@Fula28 - i'd say a bit of valve bounce coupled with enthusiastic use of boost = partially spat collet locking a red hot valve part open which then got smacked by the piston! Could have been worse - if the collet came off entirely and valve slipped into the cylinder it'd be a whole lot messier! 

That sounds correct.. This happened just after a 1.5bar boost ride...  

Now the engine is split up. The crankshaft bearings look good, and so does the gearbox. I´ll still have to check the rod bearings. What else should I look for, and what gaskets to use while putting it back together?

I need new pistons and the cyliders need honing.

Any tips so I can make this engine as reliable as possible!

Thanks!

J