GSXR1100 turbo update

The first start of this summer is near! We tried it yesterday, but had a few problems:  A couple of the relays had a bad wiring, oil cooler hose was leaking, the injectors work in wrong order... Maybe today!  The bike is still missing the wiring for the tacho, warning lights and headlight. The wiring (done properly) takes A LOT of time!
J

Edited by JK1
grammar
  • Like 1

Success!! A couple of coil connectors were crossed, after fixing that the bike is alive!  The engine sounds nice (loud).

The fuel is going through the system fast, with a few litres the bike runs about 20 sec. Because of the temporary tank the return line goes to a different can.

J

Edited by JK1
video etc

We took the wiring harness out for the final fixing.

IMG_8587.jpg

Fuse box, coils, map etc. Basically wiring for the lights and turn signals. Still missing this:

IMG_8588.jpg

This  is the wiring harness for the ecu, sensors, coils, injectors etc.

J

ive kept out of this section because of stuff like this ....... too much information is a bad thing :) it can lead to all sorts of ideas forming ..... good skills going on here ,keep the pics and information coming @JK1 , this is going to be worth all the trouble when you get it finished .. ill keep an eye on the build .:ph34r:

• Like 2

First ride!!! I rode the bike a couple of times around the garage!!

The bike has 2 Lifepo4- batteries which work extremely well! Lets see how long :D:D The other got a little damaged, maybe too quick discharging.. But its still working.

IMG_8605.jpg

J

Edited by JK1
correct link

Now the fun starts... NOT.  A/F ratio is going from lean to rich and back lean. Tuning the fuel chart seems to do nothing... The spark plugs look all the same (dark brown, rich I know). I took a 10km ride, worked ok while rpm was over 3k. The boost climbed to 0,7bar (10psi), then the mixture went rich (wot). After backing up the throttle, it was a little better.  Idle is high or nothing :( There has to be some technical/electrical issue thats causing the problems. I´ll have to try with a new set of plugs first.

The engine is getting too much fuel from idle to wot... I got the idle tuned, but now its still getting too rich when I turn the throttle. I need to get it on dyno... 

Took a 100km trip today....

:)

+ The bike got me there and back

+ It´s ok to ride

+ speedo works and is accurate

+ the LiFePo4 batteries work

:(

- LOUD

- Gets hot in the traffic as someone suspected 

- Clutch slipping --> fixed (I hope) slave/master cylinder problem

- Seat is too hard for longer trips

- Fuel tank has a few pinholes in the weld

- Oil leak, sump 

- Cam sensor wire almost broken

- Suspension is too hard, need to adjust that.

-  Rest of the warning lights need to be programmed to ecu/tacho

J

Edited by JK1
More stuff
  • Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Sun is shining! What a rare thing this summer...

IMG_8688.jpg

With a little changes to the fuel chart, the bike works better and better.  I booked some dyno time for next week, I`m really looking forward to that. Maybe not the peak hp, but to get the bike working smoothly.

I´m not sure if my lambda placement is messing up the reading for the meter. The lambda for the ecu seems to work ok. Here´s the only picture I have at the moment. The bike has 2 lambdas, one for the meter/rider, and one for the ecu.

IMG_7785.jpg

They are one after another, maybe that creates some kind of magical exhaust flow.

J

Edited by JK1
details
  • 2 weeks later...

The trip to the dyno went ok, the bike is still in one piece. The tuning took 6 hours, but the bike is still not running 100% .  It*s either  the ignition/plugs or the intake boots(?) are faulty/leaking,  After reaching 7000rpm the AFR is getting way lean.  The boots don´t look too good, and the intake plenum  straps may cause the plenum to move up at higher boost--> intake leak..

J

Edited by JK1
grammar

Hi JK1, been following your build. Like it alot. Are you sure it's not the fuel pump not keeping up? Or a restriction in the fuel circuit somewhere. If you keep adding injector opening time but have no gain in afr,  it sounds like fuel pressure or flow isn't enough. 

If it's only doing it above 7k when boosting, then as everything on the intake side is under pressure, if it was leaking, this will result in a drop of boost pressure and thus for a given amount of fuel, it should go richer. but all depends a bit how your fueling is set up to work. 

Anyway, nearly there keep at it.

Edited by slingy1157

Lambda sensor placement is critical when using a dump pipe! When flow is low it will be fooled by atmospheric air so indicating lean condition.

I've got my ecu sensor at the collector pre turbo - against all the advise mind you but if the back pressure kills it after a few '000's miles its not the end of the world

to replace with a new one + its more accurate as direct from cylinders not with added turbo oil ! ! !

Thanks guys! The injectors are 1000cc low resistance.. I didn´t pay too much attention to the dutycycle, I´m a real novice with  this. The guy at the dyno is one of the best in Finland, so I´m trusting him knowing his stuff.

The fuel pump should be enough, the same pump has been used in a 400hp Busa, but I´ll have to check that. The fuel pressure is even 3bar, don´t know about the flow.

The lambda sensor for the ecu was giving the same reading as the one in the  dyno, and now after the tuning the sensor for the gauge is giving sensible readings.