Slabby ignition advancer

• 3 weeks later...

Funny this (just re-joined from the previous site). I tried for ages to get an advancer for my '85 slabside and couldn't get one anywhere. Grumpy has had an order for them from his supplier for ages but they are on a very, very long lead time so I made my own. I need to make my 50 posts as well so this might be the first of a few (49 and counting now) Just take a Dremel to your ignition backplate and as Ben Slabby says, just slot them. A 5 degree advance approximates a 5mm hole. Make a reference mark on the timing case (score or notch it) and providing you have slotted your holes (the mounting screws on the backplate) you will then have advanced your ignition approximately 5 degrees. Make sure that you drill your slots as accurately as possible. Any chimp-like or wildly out handiwork could screw your plate, but if I can do it so can you! Obviously you'll have to test this out and check the timing but it worked for me. Now I've got slightly more midrange than I had before. I still want a Dynatech or similar with some kind of programmable advance curve though. Anyway, this is what I did and please forgive my errm.. design-work.

20141105_131937.jpg

DIY Advancer.jpg

• Like 3