Air cooled gs1100 re-build

Hi,

I have an old gs1100 motor under the bench, project leftovers!

The fella I got it from took the head off to replace it but stopped there and never got around to putting it back together.

Its done 50k  plus.

I would like to rebuild the motor and give it a little more go but I'm a little wary of doing it myself! and cant afford to have someone do it for me!!

What info should I know before starting?

Is there any books that anyone would recommend to help with the job?

I have a workshop manual but I really could do with getting it right first time?

Any advise would be gratefully received.

Have you got the 2v GS motor or the 4v gsx motor?

All depends on what/how far you want to go, if your looking at building a big bore tuned motor and not much experience in building engines it's a lot to take on, you could just go for a big bore and stop at that and that all depends on how good the rest of the engine is?

You may need to have valve oil seals and/or guides and then you get to is the crank good, do you want/need to put new cams in and time them in.

Doing a 30+ year old motor which you don't know much about may not be cheep and you need to know what your doing or post lots of pics and ask lots of questions.

• Like 1