1979 Suzuki GS850G

Dave

I have the same problem with my 1979 GS850G that I had with my previous 1978 GS70E. Although I have recently fitted new EBC clutch friction plates/steel plates and HD springs, it is almost impossible to select Neutral.    If, at a standstill, and the bike is in 1st, I will normally have to turn the engine off to get back to Neutral. With the engine running on a few occasions, it will go from 1st to 2nd and back but not able to get into neutral.   Does not matter if bike is warmed up or not.   Anyone else had this problem - is it the forks, spring or what??

One of my mates with a 850 had same problem. Clutch drag causing poor selection of gears and neutral. Cause was badly adjusted clutch cable, after adjusting still not perfect stripped out and had a look inside. The nut holding clutch basket had loosened off which let basket float up and down shaft. Not by very much lucky if it was 0.5 of a mm but enough to cause drag. My mate learnt a lesson that day. Don't tighten nut whilst trying to stop basket shaft turning with a lever. He broke off part of basket  that one of the spring goes over. Doh. 

• Like 1

Many thanks for the pointers chaps, cable set as per manual apart from vertually no play.  Having done clutch plates recently will check your pointer Dod just in case nut has loosened as this could point to the fact that it can be virtually impossible to shift it out of 1st at a standstill.   Have had some pointers that replacing Neutral Index Spring for stronger one has solved this type of problem but can this be done without any dismantling?:(

looks like an easy job, if the mount hole is the same on your 850 as on the GS550 in the lower pic .. check this out

edit - should have read the last line " This is the neutral plunger position on the 550s, the larger motors have the fitting from underneath the motor."

With the GS1000 that requires removing the oil pan.

Edited by Rijko
  • Like 1

Give this a try: At a standstill and in first gear, put a small amount of upward pressure on the shift lever and rev the motor slightly over idle. Hold the revs there and try shifting into neutral. That usually works for me.

You may have to play around with how high you rev the motor, so I suggest practicing in an empty parking lot.

Edited by MadCapsule