B12 front into ET

Swiss Toni

Doing this conversion. To make things easier (I thought), I got an RF900 lower yoke. I thought it would be a straight fit, but the top of the stem is 8.1mm inside the top yoke.

CIMG2310.jpg

The stem/bearing adjuster nut is 3.75mm below the top yoke.

CIMG2314.jpg

Fitted to frame. Where do I go from here?

CIMG2316.jpg

Do I get a threaded collar made, to thread onto the stem, drilled to take 12mm RF900 stem bolt? Any takers???

Edited by Swiss Toni

Probably, but I don't have one. I was going to try a GS1000 one I have in the garage. I thought it would be an easier solution, using the RF bottom yoke and stem, rather than pressing out and in, the B12/GS1000 stems. Looks like if I made a sleeve nut with a domed head, that will solve the problem. It will also do away with having the top drilled and tapped to take the RF stem locking bolt. I'm sure FBOAB has done it this way, and no doubt he will also advise! :tu

Edited by Swiss Toni

Just c

On 27 February 2016 at 6:56 PM, Dod said:

Hi there. One of my bikes a gsx11et with a bandit mk1 front end fitted. Used rf 900 bottom yoke. All that I neaded was a spacer to take up gap to make yoke hole at top smaller to suit rf stem. No height issues like you've got. 

Just called breaker I got the RF lower yoke from. Definitely from 900 and not 600. And, as far as he knows, yokes remained the same throughout the RF900's production run! Problems, problems! 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

B12 yokes came, but were fu#ked :( so decided to use the RF900 bottom yoke. Removed the stem from RF (too short for gsx frame), and as I had a GS850 bottom yoke kicking about I so removed the stem from that and placed it into the RF bottom yoke's empty stem hole (holder?). The only thing is the GS stem is 0.5mm smaller diameter, so has a bit of a loose wobble around inside the RF yoke stem hole - so what I've done is drilled and tapped a 6mm hole through the back of the yoke and through into the replacement stem and bolted it all together. I also cut 2 slits, 1 left and 1 right, in the outer sides of the replacement stem where it sits inside the bottom yoke hole, and made a sleeve to fit up inside this stem. This sleeve, originally a solid bar, has then been drilled and tapped with a center hollow 8mm thread, then the bottom part of it was cut off at a 45 degree angle.  The bottom cut-off bit was retrieved and drilled out to a 12mm internal hole and then inserted into the replacement stem to mate back up at the angled face. The idea is that when you tighten up a bolt going up into the 8mm sleeve from the bottom, through the 12mm hole, the top and bottom angled halves slide and press against each other sand thus press out against the inside of the stem, thus taking up the slack. Now the stem is nice and title.

Quoted this from my GSX1157et project thread, think you have seen it mate ;)

(Yes must get some work done on it and do a update xD)

• 1 month later...