Went on the dyno and...

Is it just for road use or just drag?  a Hayes is a slider clutch so even if you use it as a lock up type its not ideal,  the main issue with them is the springs on the front as they stretch and fall out,  we broke 3 engines through this fault and rodded one, we would never use hayes again so mtc all the way,  if its mainly for road then you only need a lock up clutch. 

2 hours ago, 1260pete said:

Is it just for road use or just drag?  a Hayes is a slider clutch so even if you use it as a lock up type its not ideal,  the main issue with them is the springs on the front as they stretch and fall out,  we broke 3 engines through this fault and rodded one, we would never use hayes again so mtc all the way,  if its mainly for road then you only need a lock up clutch. 

You can set a Hayes up various ways ....slider , throw away lock-up ...or normal "ish" lock up.......

I agree not ideal for the road but as a normal "ish"  lock-up it will "does" work.......:)

6 hours ago, Stephtell said:

Nope, it won't...doesn't really make sense to buy a seperate lockup for a stock clutch in my case, the money is better spent on the Hayes Basket in that case...wonder how much the stock clutch with some heavier springs can take?

Hear say 

It lets go at around 180 bhp but i think it all depends on torgue.

you wil need a lock up with the power your engine makes.

you can also change to diafram clutch from a gsxr if you are swapping cranks.

if you do the swedish conversion you can go too approx 300 bhp without lock up downside is you wil have a heavy clutch so some time in the gym might be required.

i had the swedish conversion on my z1r with 1 spring added it held up easily to 230 bhp

1 hour ago, Duckndive said:

You can set a Hayes up various ways ....slider , throw away lock-up ...or normal "ish" lock up.......

I agree not ideal for the road but as a normal "ish"  lock-up it will "does" work.......:)

Yeah I know what you mean mate they can work as a normal lock up but I would prefer a normal type basic lock up, plus its a hell of a lot of money for a hayes

I run the Hayes without the centre springs so those won't break and wreck the engine (I was warned for this).

It can be made to run as a more or less standard lock up or as slider/semi-slider, I ran it as a lock up only.

The money on the Hayes is already spent, dunno how much an MTC lock up is but if it's cheap enough I might consider retro-firring the original basket for now in combination with the MTC lock up.

The bike is a roadbike and I don't intend to drag it.

So, after lot's of thinking, this is what I came up with:

I have another clutch which has a helical gear fitted but by the looks of things it came from a GSX-R? It has the ribbed steel basket and it's a coulspring-type clutch.

Am I right in thinking that fitting this clutch with the MTC-lock up is job done for road use for now?

Another Hayes clutch is expensive and I don't want to spend the money without going to straight cut gears as well BUT don't fancy taking the engine out just now...if I can run it like this the coming summer I'll be good.

I've too many other bikes to build and fix so really just want to get this one on the road ASAP...

Any advice great;y appreciated, not that clued up on the Suzuki engines...

I have a spare gsxf basket if you like wich has the conversion done against sticky clutch, and yes if you add a lock up thats fine. I can ask the guy who i sold my lock up to if he wants to sell he bought it from included the front plate with steel buttons and mtc spacer.

As far as i know he's not using it, if you are interested i can get you in contact with him.

• 6 years later...