1200 Bandit carb problems

Hi I recently purchased a 1997 low mileage bandit 12 i had to strip the carbs and get them ultrasonic cleaned i bought a pattern repair kit put it all together and it runs on tickover and just dies when its revved past 3k rpm would this be an overfuelling problem or underfuelling problem has anyone had issues with aftermarket repair kits

cheers

Unless you've changed the jetting it should run as stock! So as they've been apart, it leaves either something's still blocked, missing on reassembly or reassembled incorrectly! The pattern repair parts could be moody but just off idle, 3k is transition stage onto needle so not much in a kit to change that?

Edited by Gixer1460

There is one or 2 ways you could have installed the floats incorrectly. There's a place or 2 that looks like maybe you're supposed to put an oring there but you're not... Happened to me once anyway. I had these rebuild kits and there were some extra orings i dunno so I tried putting them in extra places :D . And then I noticed fuel pouring out of my k&ns. 

ive been a plonker i didnt put the back on the airbox just had the filter rested in place and with cv carbs this is not going to work is it. ive not put it to the test yet but im betting it needs a full intact airbox to make it run fingers crossed ive found the problem its me being an idiot i thought it would run as ive run bikes before with no filters but they were old slabbys with flatslides and the slides were manually lifted not like the bandit which is done under vacuum thanks for all your input guys 

Edited by yellowcakeuf6

still having problems with the bike i found out its running on 3 and the cylinder that is not firing the plug is very wet also when i run it i get a white smoke out the exaust and it smells very rich i swapped a plug from a running cylinder and it still wont fire ive not done a compression test but im sure it has compression as when you put your hand over the inlet rubber its sucks quite hard against my  palm the same as all the other cylinders.could it be overfueling on that cylinder it just spits out the carb and backfires when its running 

did another carb strip down today as no 1 was overfuelling realy bad had white smoke coming from exhaust i found out that the pilot jet had dropped out i thought that i had found the problem but it still runs like shit spitting out the carbs and just dying when it hits anything over 3k rpm the float heights are so difficult to get right while trying to hold down that plastic bridge.a mate of mine who is a bit of gsxr nut told me to do the float levels with carbs laying flat at 11mm he said it works every time going to give it a try before it gets tucked away in the back of my garage and left forever

Edited by yellowcakeuf6
7 hours ago, yellowcakeuf6 said:

did another carb strip down today as no 1 was overfuelling realy bad had white smoke coming from exhaust i found out that the pilot jet had dropped out i thought that i had found the problem but it still runs like shit spitting out the carbs and just dying when it hits anything over 3k rpm the float heights are so difficult to get right while trying to hold down that plastic bridge.a mate of mine who is a bit of gsxr nut told me to do the float levels with carbs laying flat at 11mm he said it works every time going to give it a try before it gets tucked away in the back of my garage and left forever

11mm is way too high for b12 mk.1 carbs. (Think mk.2 type carbs are 11mm) 14.6mm +/-1mm is what they should be. You need to tilt the carbs over to take the weight of the float off the float needle. The tab should be touching the float needle without pressing in its pin. Try making a template out of a piece of card, something like a cornflakes box. With one hand, hold the carbs with two fingers pressing down the bridge, with the other hand use the template making sure its square to its base. Makes life a lot easier than fumbling with a set of verniers calipers. 

22022016731.jpg

Edited by Jaydee
  • Like 1