Turbo plumbing for a simpleton

• 4 weeks later...

Aye up, still going on this, just awaiting some more bits back from powder coating

Cast your minds back about 12-18 months to when i finally got it to run relatively correctly - i'm not sure if I ever mentioned it on here but during the process i tried running it without the turbo on and had the headers only loosely bolted up using the outside 2 bolts.

It fired up a treat but was suddenly pissing oil out of the front of the engine, seemingly from the upper exhaust stud hole on cylinder 3. 

With a bolt in it it didn;t so much gush as weep a fair bit - i put this down to a ham fisted previous owner having cracked the head putting an over long bolt in

Now i've got the engine on the bench i had a proper look - what i found was less than amusing

At some point someone has snapped that particular exhaust bolt, then tried to drill it out....................................

Whats that......

45821168074_20004ebe48_c.jpg

It can't be can it?

45821161234_b3e9e0073e_c.jpg

Bugger me it is!

44727490070_e397c53e7d_c.jpg

Drilled off centre, on the piss and all the fucking way through!

46544890051_67b5eb6d9b_c.jpg

45821157884_c21c2e0c90_c.jpg

This should demonstrate just how far off straight it's been drilled!

44727488990_b415e58149_c.jpg

So, rectified with a spot of Belzona for now

39681820063_1b52e5d4bd_c.jpg

Now just awaiting a decent clean and a coat of paint

32772128248_3306f380ab_c.jpg

I've also spent a small fortune on some more Ti bling for various bits, cam cover bolts, sprocket nuts and a couple of other bits.

Also bought a manual cam chain tensioner to be on the safe side as i've got no idea of the heritage of the existing one

45975261974_a480da85f0_c.jpg

So, hopefully in the next couple of weeks if it warms up enough to paint, it'll be done and back in for the final build

Then we've just got to hope it plays ball during testing

Edited by El Gringo
  • Like 2
11 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

Wonder if the 'engineer' doing the drilling said ' oh bollocks' when the drill chuck hit the exhaust port.............and did he fetch out all the drill shavings - Hmmm what do you think!

It does explain where all the bits of swarf that were in the sump the first time i took it off came from!

Fortunately, this second time round it's nice and swarf free

As you say "engineer" :|

• Like 1
9 hours ago, no class said:

…..that would require a visit …..no conversation followed by a punch in the face 

xD indeed, I agree wholeheartedly!

Unfortunately i've no idea which of the 16 previous owners it was. I think it's had a troubled/hard existence

Still, onwards and upwards, i've got a spare motor now which is always a bonus and i've been doing some reading up on using FZR600 pistons which will give it a bit of a capacity bump so at some point it'll probably be getting a mk2 engine

Edited by El Gringo
  • Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

All going according to plan so far

Engine is back in, body work should be back at the weekend.

Carbs need another clean and i think i'm going to go back to the 100 main jets - then it's a case of connecting everything back up

I'm still a tad concerned about it not transitioning on to boost properly but i think it's just going to need a bit more testing - there are only a finite number of things it can be now

I've added a take off to the plenum to feed the fuel pressure regulator, and i'm looking at making s series of restrictors for the pitot tube so we can try smaller bores to see if that helps

I've also made a little plate to hold the choke bar closed to rule that out

39938768493_39b5376eec_c.jpg

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, Blubber said:

Nice

- can post a picture of the choke bar plate?

And...curious if you can still use the choke (or use the software for cold start enrichment )

I'll take you a pic later @Blubber- It's nothing fancy, a bent bit of 10mm wide steel flat stock, there was a "spare" casting on the end of the carbs so i tapped it to M6 for a bolt.

Choke works the same but you have to manually put the plate over the end of the choke rod and do the bolt up - just need to remember to take a 5mm allen key everywhere with me xD

It's only a temporary measure to see if that's part of the problem, if it helps i'll make something more permanent

• Like 1

Quick update, should have the bodywork back this weekend, so in the meantime i figured a proper exhaust might help with the possibility of getting it MOT'd

46999143841_4ff1448f4c_c.jpg

46999141711_5271181f39_c.jpg

40034537763_1a97a862ef_c.jpg

Also been through the carbs again and given them a good clean - looking much tidier now

One thing that i did notice that might have quite a large effect on the transition - where the tees feed the float bowl vents from the pitot tube, the rubber is very soft and doesn't seal very well over the stubs. I've now lockwired these to try and seal them a bit better but it's not ideal.

I did have a read back through the spondon bandit thread and found the mod using the outer feed points but i don't think there's enough sticking out to get a good fit on the 400 carbs (plus i can't get the bank of carbs apart to fit the cross pieces between the stubs) - might be something to look at in the future

Edited by El Gringo
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, MeanBean49 said:

Very cool. Cant wait to see how it performs

Cheers Rob,

Just got it back from the bike show in London, Practical Spurtsbikes borrowed if for their stand over the weekend

46212282165_6049391c1c_c.jpg

(Excuse the shite in the background)

46402724704_6d862ecefc_c.jpg

46402724554_4c759de7da_c.jpg

I'm hoping that with some fresh fuel (and not the half and half fresh and premix i put in it the other day ) it should start and do what it's supposed to do now i've sealed the float bowl tee's and put the choke bar stopper on

Edited by El Gringo
6 minutes ago, El Gringo said:

Cheers Rob,

Just got it back from the bike show in London, Practical Spurtsbikes borrowed if for their stand over the weekend

46212282165_6049391c1c_c.jpg

(Excuse the shite in the background)

46402724704_6d862ecefc_c.jpg

46402724554_4c759de7da_c.jpg

I'm hoping that with some fresh fuel (and not the half and half fresh and premix i put in it the other day ) it should start and do what it's supposed to do now i've sealed the float bowl tee's and put the choke bar stopper on

Fingers crossed mate. Trip to a good dyno on the cards?

16 minutes ago, MeanBean49 said:

Fingers crossed mate. Trip to a good dyno on the cards?

Definitely, although i want to test it somewhere again beforehand to see if it's helped and to save wasting more time on the dyno.

Ian Cross invited me up to theirs to run it so will let you know as and when

On 2/6/2019 at 10:00 AM, El Gringo said:

where the tees feed the float bowl vents from the pitot tube, the rubber is very soft and doesn't seal very well over the stubs. I've now lockwired these to try and seal them a bit better but it's not ideal.

i was messing with my gxsr11 carbs yesterday and had the same thing, the tee's are squishy and although i haven't tried it yet im expecting issues as cant tighten the clips too much as it'll just collapse the tee's,  i did wonder if cutting a couple of inserts from a bit of thin walled pipe and gluing them into the tee's might help ??

Just now, 69chris said:

i was messing with my gxsr11 carbs yesterday and had the same thing, the tee's are squishy and although i haven't tried it yet im expecting issues as cant tighten the clips too much as it'll just collapse the tee's,  i did wonder if cutting a couple of inserts from a bit of thin walled pipe and gluing them into the tee's might help ??

It possibly would, but unless you've got the carbs aparti can't see how you'd get them back in. Mine need the squishyness to get them between the stubs.

Ideally i'd take them apart and make a soild joint across and the drill and use the outer unused connections (as per the turbo spondon bandit thread) but i can't get my carbs apart

I'm hoping the lockwire will at least hold some of the boost in

1 minute ago, El Gringo said:

It possibly would, but unless you've got the carbs aparti can't see how you'd get them back in. Mine need the squishyness to get them between the stubs.

Ideally i'd take them apart and make a soild joint across and the drill and use the outer unused connections (as per the turbo spondon bandit thread) but i can't get my carbs apart

I'm hoping the lockwire will at least hold some of the boost in

ahhh i see, i wasnt thinking of replacing the whole tee, just dropping in a small 'dowel' like inset into the tee so the jubilee clip could get a bit of a squeeze on it,   

i didnt know there was an option of outer feeds ????

56 minutes ago, 69chris said:

ahhh i see, i wasnt thinking of replacing the whole tee, just dropping in a small 'dowel' like inset into the tee so the jubilee clip could get a bit of a squeeze on it,   

i didnt know there was an option of outer feeds ????

A little internal sleeve might work if you can get it in

The outer feeds i picked up from here - 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, El Gringo said:

A little internal sleeve might work if you can get it in

The outer feeds i picked up from here - 

cheers - that is a neat solution !!!  i dont think there is a huge 'stub' sticking out of my outer carbs to get the hose onto mind ?  tbh i haven't really looked that hard  

3 hours ago, 69chris said:

cheers - that is a neat solution !!!  i dont think there is a huge 'stub' sticking out of my outer carbs to get the hose onto mind ?  tbh i haven't really looked that hard  

There isn't much of one on the 400 carbs either. I was wondering if i could tap the bit that is there out and use a threaded fitting with a hose barb end to give it something a bit more positive to connect to but decided to try lock wire on the normal rubber tees first