GSX750ET Race Build

maxwin

I'm told by racer friends that if you're not binning it every once in a while you're not trying hard enough and you're not racing. 

There is something counter intuitive for a non racer's brain about resigning yourself to throwing your hard earned efforts down the tarmac but that is racing.

Go winged hammers!

• Like 1

I guess you do need to have some sort of malfunction to be a racer, the first thing I could think about after the last crash was when will I be out on track again! :D

I agree with what you wrote @KATANAMANGLER, if you want to improve you need to push the envelope and ultimately it pushes back.

But enough of that morbid nonsense, back to RACING!!!

Donington write up...

Unfortunately got off to a bad start, miss calculated how much fuel to put in for practise and so ran out before I even started a hot lap.  Started well back on the grid at 26th for race 1, I was still trying to get comfortable on the bike again after the Oulton shenanigans, did a bit of grass tracking at Redgate and finished in 20th overall :(

Race 2 was even worse, started 20th and first lap was plagued with crashes culminating in a red flag and an hour wait while it was sorted out.

Here is my bit of crash avoidance on the first lap...

Race 2 resumed minus a few unfortunate folks and I was not feeling it at all, chugged through and finished 19th.

Sunday was a much better day, cob webs blow out and put Saturday well and truly behind me.

Started 19th and finished 18th.

Race 2 started 18th and finished 16th, had bad look with the tail enders which cost me 2 places and the bike got 1mph slower each lap according to the GPS.  Didn't get lapped though like half the field did by the Mahindra Moto 3 bike we shared a grid with.

Here is the last race in full Technicolor...

With all that out the way roll on Cadwell this weekend... running 2 bikes, the usual and this little devil (it's carbureted btw :))20170529_175017.thumb.jpg.1cd7a465339270f415afe60082b4184f.jpg

More to come!

• Like 3
39 minutes ago, maxwin said:

Here is my bit of crash avoidance on the first lap...

Rookie mistake. Inside, trys to old the line, doesn't hang off, opens the throttl .. exit stage left! Consider it an easy overtake :o)

40 minutes ago, maxwin said:

With all that out the way roll on Cadwell this weekend... running 2 bikes, the usual and this little devil (it's carbureted btw :))

Oooer ... that looks sweeeeeet! The SRAD 750 with a tuned motor can be a beast. Relatievly inexpensive to get 140hp ... bu the engine will only last a season. 

I prefer yours to my old endurance bike! We called it the pink bell end for obvious reasons! The only sponsirship deal that cost us more than the sponsrship we received (That's another story of over hospitality, beer costs, and miscalculations).

Krc_8276.jpg

PICT2074.JPG

• Like 2

Bollox ... just spotted the RWU forks in your photo! Ne'er mind ... was all excited for you. Racing an SRAD750 was one fo the best periods of my life. Totally selfish, and very very very hedonistic... just enjoying memory lane!

Edited by Solcambs
  • 2 months later...

As some may have guessed the reason for my late reply is that Cadwell did not go so well :(

Started off badly with starting problems on the GSX which made me miss qualifying, putting me at the back of the grid.

Would have started 7th on the grid Sunday morning if I had made it...

SRAD03.JPG.357ae761def5ee660f883738f2d8cc6e.JPG

Unfortunately, the pre injection class organise grids on championship points which as I was new started me at... wait for it... the back of the effing grid!

we shared a grid with road stocks (basically new 1000cc bikes) which was a pain at the back as they were really fast in a straight line but piss slow in the bends.

The SRAD was nice on the handling but seemed a bit lacking at the top end.

SRAD01.JPG.5746be8968b25eadf2b5f00c88726a42.JPG

Things took a turn for the worse when I tried out braking a road stocker who totally closed the door on me, had the choose between punting him off or try to fall in behind, chose the latter and washed out on the brakes...

SRAD02.JPG.ed44e21daf279d6cb974e865cfedac0d.JPG

Broken collar bone and 3 broken ribs :(

Needless to say my season has ended, bones are pretty much healed but I don't want to risk re-braking anything.

Decided to sell the GSX and the SRAD and going to buy a 1999 R6 for next year and do the pre injection class from the beginning.

So as I will soon be Suzuki-less I guess it's goodbye...

• 4 weeks later...
On 31/01/2016 at 9:31 PM, maxwin said:

Thanks a lot for the comments.

@Rene EFE - maybe next year, for now 1100 will have to stand for the number of helicoils I've used in these motors :P

@KATANAMANGLER - is that Pete Boyle?

@clivegto - http://cq.cx/tubejoin.pl - that's the one I use

@fatblokeonbandit - I race with Earlystocks and Formula Prostocks 

Decided to go all in and brace the head stock as well, just need to decide on the colour now.

Frame03_zpsk5nn7nwy.jpg

I've picked up a frame from another manufacture that has been braced - common to how the frames were moded for the IOM - in their day - its an interesting variation on what is typically done

the top middle of the frame where the single top tube pass's the two top side rails where they are curved

1st form a bend to match the curve of the two side rails - about 4" either side of the curve - then cut mid point along the length of these bent tubes to form saddles which you weld onto the bottom of the existing side rails - i.e. basically doubling up on the wall thickness at the curve

2nd repeat the same but now on the top (outside of the curve on the side rails)

3rd then form a plate into shape that covers the side rails and the centre tube and stich this onto all x 3 tubes

P1070125.JPG

• Like 1

Well turns out I'm not quitting the OSS scene quite yet, I'll continue this thread as my dad will be giving racing a go on the ET.

Being about 5 inches taller than me and a lot less flexible the bikes geometry is going to require some 'alterations', and I'd like to continue with the upgrades I had planned.

@nlovien I'm always in the market for new techniques to make these bendy frames less bendy so I'll give this a go!

I'll be starting a new thread at some point on a new race build of a GSXR 750 Slabside, which I don't have yet so if anyone knows of a cheap one let me know.  A frame and or an engine would do for now just to get started, fleabay seems devoid of them at the moment :(

• Like 3