MotoMartin spine frame GsxR1127cc engine

yann7/11r

Hi OSS guys.
First time i post something on your site. 
First presentation. Long time observer for what you're doing on your bike. Lot of inspiration for my own réalisations.
...I'm French...yes...i'm French. So, please accept my abject apologies for my approximative approch from English language...
Story begin in... 2002. (been a while)
I've an oppurtunity for buy a MotoMartin (basket case bike) during a classic event on Autodrome from Montlhéry. Some English people buy it before me...but they didn't have enought place in truck for take it away. So they bring it back to the sellers and i buy it a very low price.

I sold all the old stuff that i can to make me some cash. Stay with the frame initially mounted with an SOHC H...A. 

I didn't want to have a bike wich such kind of engine so we decided (me & Georges Martin) to modify the frame to accept an Suzuki oil cooled engine. (750cc)

After some hesitations i prefer to install a GsxF eleven engine and bike begin his life like that.

Some pictures, maybe ?

• Like 5

Finaly i choose a Egli alloy tank. The seller was an old racer man from the 50/60. He sell me a part of his story with the tank.

Fork/wheel/brake are from an Hayabusa./ rear is 600bandit.

Fiberglass seat is a "big butt" model from  DonVesco

4/1 stainless exhaust system is from MIG (French brand)

04-12.10.04Ar Poutre yann 12.10.04.jpg

• Like 5

Works in progress (2005)

At this time...i was able to make the first ride !
And...it was an awfull experience. Bike didn't handle correctly. It was a pain to ride. Too hard spring on the rear shock. Shame because they were custom made...
Egli tank was opened, repaired & re-welded. 

05-Poutre 1127cc 02.06 IMAG0134.jpg

Edited by yann7/11r
  • Like 5

Consecration...?
First meeting with the bike. Made a sensational reaction with the people present.

BUT...doesn't satisfy me in term of aestetic...and comportment.
Too hight on the front/ too low on the rear. Of course doesn't turn correctly.
Sourced a original MotoMartin fairing who's so BIG...
Rear suspension is too hard. Shame because they where custom made...

4 years work...nothing good... 

06-Poutre 1127cc CafRacDays DSC_1199.jpg

• Like 2

So, let's see what happened after...

Because i was unsatisfied with the rear shock, i take the option to make a test with only one unit (instead of two...) mounted on the bike....!!! And here...suspension works great. Uncredible...Second test. I've removed a pair of Koni shock from my old Bonnie. Lenght was 30mm longer. Road test. Verdict : SO MUCH better.
I remove the uggly fairing and choose another that was availale on one of my oder bike (MotoMartin) Chopped a little bit the screen.
At this time, i've a bike who weighted 169kgs, without fuel but with oil and battery.
Very instinctive on the road. Turn like a little bike but with the massive torque from GsxF engine.
Change the front Nissin for six piston system...
Have a lot of fun with this version & ride it a lot.

06-StartCafRacDays2008Photo0076.jpg

• Like 5

This kind of "spine frame " is the very first that G.Martin have conceived. Inspiration is in direct line from the F.Egli concept. 

After  trouble for plagiarism, Egli has forced G.Martin to changing his plan. He moved for the well now "space frame" that he sell for various kind of motorisation during 7/8 years. Principal avantage for the space frame is a better accessibility to the top engine. With the spine frame...nothing to do. You take the engine down for doing anything on the top...During an endurance race, you can imagine what happened...
Mine is from 1977.
You're right . Engine plate is in one pièce and take swingarm pivot & engine mount. ;)

• Like 2