bandit really that bland?

p4ddy

I've owned a bandit 1200 ran it for a couple of years inc winter,it was cleaned once when one of my mates borrowed it for a week,got my money back when I sold it .So all in all a good deal but funny enough I'll not be looking for another unless I drop on a runner cheap to make a buck or break

Can't say I'm a fan of them as standard but bought a Bandit frame to play with, cheaper than getting a good GS or GSX frame these days but still comes close on the looks front once some of the pointless crap has been cut and ground away.

Well it's not for me to do down the Bandit but I had a whim a few years ago to replace the tired GSXR1100 G lump in my '85 750R with a 1200 Bandit motor on the basis that they were just a slightly detuned 1100but with more torque. Well after picking up a couple of suspect motors I looked at the performance output figures for the first time and only then did I realise they were putting very little more power than my original 750 so what a waste of time and money!!!!! So I replaced them with a GSXR1100N more that still has oodles of torque and LOADS more power. We live and learn - the hard way!

I was struggling back on page one to upload a pic of my Blandit but I think I may have done it now. I have less than zero interest in this bike at the moment. I keep on looking at it and think that if I change this,or do that.... it might become interesting,but at this point in time it's so bland that it's currently just sat in storage collecting dust.

The pic was after the last time I had it in the workshop before taking it away and hiding it. It's an under construction thing,but Id be surprised if I do much more with it?

P1090005.jpg

P1050010 - Copy.jpg

Edited by dixiethedog
add pic of blandness.
  • Like 1

I was struggling back on page one to upload a pic of my Blandit but I think I may have done it now. I have less than zero interest in this bike at the moment. I keep on looking at it and think that if I change this,or do that.... it might become interesting,but at this point in time it's so bland that it's currently just sat in storage collecting dust.

The pic was after the last time I had it in the workshop before taking it away and hiding it. It's an under construction thing,but Id be surprised if I do much more with it?

P1090005.jpg

P1050010 - Copy.jpg

Need a proper old skool frame to do that motor and swingarm some justice...

Guest YoshiJohnny

The Mk1 Bandit enjoys a quality that is sadly lacking in most other bikes. A quality the Japanese find impossible to design in on purpose,

if they could then ALL bikes would have this one quality, IMO the harder they try the more horribly they get it wrong.

IMO the Italians have it bang on, most of the time !

It's a quality that is only to be found & admired by real people. Plastic people, wannabee's & weekend warriors wouldn't recognise it if it hit them in the face.

Quite often, those people who can recognise this quality . . . . enjoy a fair degree of it themselve's.

This quality has appeared in numerous motorcycles over the years, most of which you will have heard of, some of which you will have owned. It is also totally absent from lots n lots of others, most of which you cannot recall.

This quality cannot be bought, cannot be learned & most importantly . . . . it cannot be copied or faked.

This quality is called "CHARISMA".

You either 'get it', or you don't.

Bandit and quality in the same sentance.... I like it.... never heard it before 

They are as charismatic as John Major..

He was shit at his job..

Bandits were cobbled together by Suzuki to sell units.. they became THE bike to own after you pass your test because they are plentiful, cheap and do everything just oK.

In reality they can be made to go quicker and handle better but looks wise I aint ever seen one (and I seen LOTS) that made me want one.

The GS1200SS is a different matter but it's only the looks...I know it's a frickin' bandit underneath it all and I would have to modify the bastard to make it mine..

People like them, I get it, I actually rode another one today.... I feel no better for it

YJ

Edited by YoshiJohnny
dick
Guest YoshiJohnny

My cat has more 'charisma' than a Kat !

You do know Bandits are not really allowed on here don't you??

:D

They are not Oldskool, not kool and as for keyboard warriors being anti-social there have been plenty of get togethers over the years where people actually spoke, laughed, talked shit... etc etc and yes your cat probably has more charisma than some... but my dog would kick its arse for personality (and probably just kick its arse) because she's a cantankerous old bastard.. like me.. 

Bandits are shit

• vizman locked this topic