Help with Bandit 750 Project?

ciath

Hi All,

I am currently working on my Bandit 600 which is lets say my first proper sports bike, anyhow to cut a long story short, bandit engine has high mileage, damaged rings, and damaged headers ie, all bolts well and truly seized and manifold rusted through. This is where I decide to go buy a GSXR 750 engine. Now me being a noob I dont look too much into it and just buy the first engine I see which is a R705 86 GSXR 750 Slabside engine.

It came with a set of bandit carbs in miserable enough condition. I bought a small ultrasonic cleaner off Donedeal (craiglist in Ireland basically) and set about cleaning up the carbs. Stripped them all down cleaned them out and rebuilt them with a sigma 6 jet kit, I gave them the specs off the bike.

So on Christmas Eve myself and the younger brother got the engine in the bike, over the next few weeks continued bit by bit. I have the bandit sump and oil pickup on there now. I have the bandit carbs on there, installed 4 new spark plugs, foam air filter socks onto the original boots. Bandit 600 oil cooler connected and the bike somewhat back together. Also fitted a new set of stainless steel headers from Black Widow Exhausts in the UK and a Danmoto GP Extreme exhaust.

Now what brings me to being on here is the fact that I have a few questions to ask, this is the moment where everyone face palms and says use the god damn search box, well I have done quite a bit of research and I just can't find and definitive answers so any help would be much obliged.

1. Are the carbs big enough, the slabside originally came with 28mm so I presume 32mm is loads?

2. Will the Bandit 6 Oil cooler be sufficient or do I need to upgrade?

3. Will the exhaust flow enough air or is the bandit headers knows to cause problems?

4. When I got the engine it was just the engine, I got no sprocket cover so I tried the bandit one and discovered (well I presume) the actuator pin is too short, anyone know what size I should cut a new length of 6mm steel rod to?

5. All the connectors between the 86 GSXR Engine and the 99 Bandit 600 loom match up. i believe the GSXR has twin ignition pickups but the bandit has single, do I need to change the ignition pickups or can I simply connect the one with the matching connector and color cables and leave the other idle? If I do need to swap the pickups, is it easy to do?

I am just waiting on an oil filter now and I will fill it with oil and try start her up. I still have no idea if the engine is good as I bought it off Donedeal hoping it will be fine. If everything works as I am hoping should have it running tomorrow night. Anyway as I said any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Ciath O'Riain

Edited by ciath

ullo' n' welcome dude

please take a moment to RTFR

there is nothing proper about a blandit 6...however you are adorning it with a slabby 750 engine so all is not lost, please find the rest of the slabby 750 and ditch blandit.

but for now....

....the carbs will be big enough, but will need jetting/tuning accordingly.

...the oil cooler will be up to the job, just use the sump off the b6 engine.

...the bandit headers will flow enough.

...the clutch rod length I can't remember...but maybe another member will pitch in.

....ideally you'd want to use a slabby 750 cdi and pick-ups, but for now use the b6 cdi and b6 pick-ups, easy to do.  

Thanks for the reply vizman.

I read the rules and quite enjoyed reading them. I had an eerie feeling posting about the "blandit" after reading through the rules. The reasons I have this and not a GSXR are

1. cost of GSXR's here in Ireland

2. higher road tax on the GSXR

3. The fact that the insurance company go mental when you mention bandit and just hang up on you if you mention GSXR being a 19 year old provisional licence holder. Managed to convince them to insure me on the blandit "restricted to 33bhp... pffft" , yes I know its risky lying to the insurance but at my age there isnt much other ways around it.

I am having trouble tracking down a slabby cdi cheaply, I am wondering if there are any aftermarket ignition units I could use or would they even be worth it?

at least you picked the best of the big 4 Japanese companies....

the only problem with the using the bandit cdi could be where the rev limiter is set, it might only be a problem if the rev limiter is higher on the b6 cdi than on the slabby and you frequently miss a gear whilst thrashing the knickers off it [someone on here will know..and pitch in]

you may have to use the b6 inlet boots [the 4 bolted on hard rubber parts that sit between the engine and the carbs]

obviously to make the most of the slabby engine a decent pipe and a set of original flatslide carbs would be nice, but the b6 stuff with a bit of fiddlin' will get you rollin'.....

....sure enough you'll be wanting more and stuffing an 1127 motor in there in the future....

swop over the sump from the b6 onto the slabby, then all your b6 stuff will fit much easier [oil cooler, lines, exhaust, etc] you may have to swop the oil strainer fitted inside [easy job]

keep on pimping dude, good luck.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ciath said:

Thanks for the reply vizman.

I read the rules and quite enjoyed reading them. I had an eerie feeling posting about the "blandit" after reading through the rules. The reasons I have this and not a GSXR are

1. cost of GSXR's here in Ireland

2. higher road tax on the GSXR

3. The fact that the insurance company go mental when you mention bandit and just hang up on you if you mention GSXR being a 19 year old provisional licence holder. Managed to convince them to insure me on the blandit "restricted to 33bhp... pffft" , yes I know its risky lying to the insurance but at my age there isnt much other ways around it.

I am having trouble tracking down a slabby cdi cheaply, I am wondering if there are any aftermarket ignition units I could use or would they even be worth it?

Just  take the single pick up off your bandit engine put it on the gsxr engine and it will work fine .

Ok so thanks to everyone for yer help. Got an oil filter today, put everything back together hit the starter button and nothing but clicking from the relay. Connected 12V directly to the starter motor and nothing. When pressing the starter the relay clicks like hell and the motor makes an attempt (i think), basically i put my hand on the motor and it seems to be vibrating if that makes sense? 

Anyway like I said previously I bought this off a guy in a Tesco's car park who said he got it off a breaker who said it was good? Anyone have any input on if its the starter or if its something else? If its the starter will a bandit 6 starter work in place of it?

Sorry now as I am typing this I realize it is a stupid question to be posing to the pro's over here but I am a mechanical novice, IT Technician by trade.

Checked it with a multimeter and its reading 12.06V, I can stick it on charge and try again tomorrow but I doubt its the battery, battery was working ifne with the bandit engine before i dropped it out a month ago. Also I'm using the same rleay I used on the bandit so not sure where to go from there.

Edited by ciath

I have the bike filled with oil so didnt want to drain it to check it turning at the crank so I check from the sprocket. I pulled the plugs, put the bike in 6th it was stuck so i rocked it back and forwards and few times and it came free. Wheel turns in all the gears now by hand, the lower the gear the stiffer it is, however I did notice that pulling the clutch has no effect on how freely the wheel turns when in gear, is this odd? Started solenoid still clicks and starter doesnt budge, check all my wiring and cant find an issue so once again I am stumped, possibly the started motor stuck from being left idle? If so does anyone know will the bandit starter work on this engine?

As others have said, check your earth connections between engine and frame.  If it's good, (to bare metal, no paint or rust, etc.) I'd suspect the battery.  The starter is only held on by a couple of bolts at the bottom rear of the housing, if you're concerned it's stuck, take it off and check it's free.

If te clutch isn't disengaging, it's either poorly adjusted or stuck. You can deal with that once it's running. 

9 hours ago, Ben Slabby said:

Try whipping the starter cover off and gently turning it over with a socket on the starter clutch nut first. If you lean it as far over to the right as you can, you shouldn't lose any oil. 

or put it on the sidestand and remove the right side cover where the ingition pick-up is

just make sure it'd in neutral and not in gear